Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doctor Who (British tv show)

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Indeed, Brett as Holmes was superb. David Burke was also excellent as Dr Watson.

I could not stand the old movies which portrayed Watson as a buffoon. He was a British Army medical doctor, and a veteran of the Afghan campaigns. Watson was definitely a badass in his own right.

I have the entire Granada Television series on DVD, and enjoy it a great deal. Usually with a glass of single malt Scotch, and a pipe of Dunhill tobacco.
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote Watson as a bit of a clueless buffoon so Sherlock would look more clever than he really was.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R6436 View Post
    Jeremy Brett will always be the one, only, and true Sherlock in my book. Came upon the show on PBS when I was a kid one night. Was so intrigued by the performance and writing that I went to the library the next day, checked out the complete works, and for the next few days all I did was read in my spare time... which in turn opened up the door to even more literary classics. As much as I like the Cumberbatch's performance in the updated series, I very seriously doubt had I saw it back then I would've been as impressed or my bookcases as filled as they are today.
    That is how I discovered him as well, as kid watching PBS Mystery theater with my folks. This will take you down memory lane . . .

Indeed, Brett as Holmes was superb. David Burke was also excellent as Dr Watson.

I could not stand the old movies which portrayed Watson as a buffoon. He was a British Army medical doctor, and a veteran of the Afghan campaigns. Watson was definitely a badass in his own right.

I have the entire Granada Television series on DVD, and enjoy it a great deal. Usually with a glass of single malt Scotch, and a pipe of Dunhill tobacco.
    I preferred Edward Hardwicke as Watson. The fact that Watson was not a bumbling buffoon is one of the things that the Guy Richie films got right when he cast Jude Law as the good doctor in his film adaptations. I'll never understand why the British film industry and even Hollywood went down that path, I guess they thought they needed a comic relief.

That is a handsome boxset, I love the emerald green slip cover. My wife gave me it on our first Christmas together. Thanks to the Granada series and Jeremy Brett I smoke Churchwarden and Calabash pipes, though I have yet to obtain a Persian slipper.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote Watson as a bit of a clueless buffoon so Sherlock would look more clever than he really was.
    I know, but it still bugs the crap out of me. Anybody that would have survived his background should have a little more on the ball.

Just me and my curmudgeon ways.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know, but it still bugs the crap out of me. Anybody that would have survived his background should have a little more on the ball.

Just me and my curmudgeon ways.
    You may be a curmudgeon, but you do have a point. I was thinking the same thing as I was going through all the Sherlock Holmes stories. Watson, being a seasoned veteran, should have been more on the ball. But I realized that if Watson were, he could not have been the POV character telling the stories of the heroic Sherlock.

Oh well. Plot hole- take a drink...
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-04-18 at 22:23.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You may be a curmudgeon, but you do have a point. I was thinking the same thing as I was going through all the Sherlock Holmes stories. Watson, being a seasoned veteran, should have been more on the ball. But I realized that if Watson were, he could not have been the POV character telling the stories of the heroic Sherlock.

Oh well. Plot hole- take a drink...
    I've always pondered the possibility that since he was the "narrator" Watson may have been intentionally playing down his part in order to focus the light on his friend.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123