Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big bore revolver need

Feedback Score

Big bore revolver need

I keep thinking I "need" well more of want a 460sw or 500. I was thinking the 460 so I can load 454 and 45lc in it. What's everyone's opinion? I do go into grizz bear country, but not regularly. This is more of a desire than a need.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I shoot 44 Mag full house loads regularly in my various revolvers. Doesn't bother me a bit, I'm not recoil sensitive.

Personally, having shot the 460 on several occasions, it is just too much for a pistol. It literally makes my teeth hurt after shooting and is THE ONLY unpleasant experience I've had shooting.

My buddy, who owned it, thought the same and sold it at a loss.

I'm a firm believer that 44 Mag is as much as you need or really want to shoot.

I haven't shot a 500 before, so I can't speak to that model.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I had a .460V (5” bbl) for awhile purchased with bear protection in mind. I could not get it to shoot accurately with heavy bullets at the full velocity potential of the case. At heavy .45 Colt velocities it was quite accurate but I wasn’t interested in an overweight .45 Colt so I sold it. The .460 was designed around 200 gr bullets at extremely high velocities as a long-range handgun hunting round and that’s where I think it belongs.

The .500 S&W is much better suited as a backup, IMHO. I’ve had a 6 1/2” bbl model and still have the 5” version. I’ve also shot the 4” and 8 3/8” models. The 4” and 5” (and the 2 3/4”, I suppose) are definitely a lot of gun, probably too much for regular carry. I’ve been carrying my 5” for the last few years when backpacking but I’m about to start on a Redhawk .500 Linebaugh build to save a few ounces.

If you end up grabbing either, I’d recommend Jordan Trooper stocks to better handle recoil.

Feedback Score
    Well. IMHO, a full house .44 Mag with hard cast lead will take care of just about any critter in North America. A full house 10mm with hard cast lead would be my second choice.

I have a small frame. F-That chit. If someone GAVE ME a 454 or 500 Mag... I’d sell it the next day and buy a .44 Mag mountain gun.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm with Det-Sog. I have a 686 that I normally load midrange target loads for. Occasionally I'll load a full house .357 mag load (158 at 1400 fps).

More recently I got a 629. I've never loaded a full house load for it, just midrange target loads.

If someone gave me a 454 or a 500, I'd be tempted to get a set of dies and load -- you guessed it -- midrange target loads, but what would that do that the .44 mag wouldn't, for me? I'd trade it off.

To me, the ultra magnums have four purposes:

1. Hunting (I don't hunt; maybe there is an advantage over .44)
    2. Silhouette and other types of specialized target shooting (advantage over .44?)
    3. Protection against brown/ polar bears (may well be legit, if one escapes from a TX zoo)
    4. Machismo*

My most recent purchase was a Smith M&P in 9mm. Much more useful in the big city. Although, if you're getting jacked at a gas station, and you reach under your suit-coat and pull out a Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum with a 8 3/8" barrel, it's be worth it to see the faces of the jackboys.

*Much the same as the Power-Stroke diesel F250 trucks you see on the freeway, travelling on their huge knobby tires from suburbia to downtown parking garages and back again, with nary a speck of mud or dirt on them, the bed immaculate.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 11-21-18 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    I've shot the 8" 500 before, but it was factory load, not full house hand loads. No matter what I buy, it would be hand loaded for. I have all but zero use for a big bore revolver, but have always wanted one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    There's also the consideration of size/weight with a .460/.500 S&W.

I have optic equipped bolt guns that don't weigh a lot more than the .460/.500's.

I'm in complete agreement on the .4X "Mountain Gun" as a winner for packing/hunting. I have a few of them and the .45 Colt, shooting +P is a standout.
    Recoil seems gentler than .44 mag. with ammo that does the same thing.
    Hard to beat a Keith type SWC/Wide Flat Nose Gas Check, long/heavy for caliber .41/.44/.45 cast bullet for penetration and "slap" on target.

Feedback Score
    I keep forgetting about the tried and true .45 Colt. That’s a winner too. I just can’t justify another caliber to support.

While I love my custom 629 V-comp, I sure want to add a .44 Mag “mountain gun” to the collection some day.

My next grail is a 4” early 80s 686 .357, but the .44 MG may now trump that. I can always shoot weak .44 Mag or 44 special at the range. Decisions...

Happy Thanksgiving Y’all!
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also prefer .45 Colt as I reload, and in a suitable revolver, like a Ruger Super Blackhawk or similar can push it to magnum velocities. It is a real thumper. Even is a regular Single Action Army frame the standard load is pretty impressive. 250 grain slug at 900 - 950 FPS. You can do much better with a Blackhawk, or Redhawk.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ive shot 500's on several occassions and its pretty obnoxious but everybody is different. I got on a Barrel 50 pretty hard this last week, my back still hurts. Gotta get straight behind it. Might want to shoot one first.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast