Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Fusion vs Federal and Winchester soft point ammo?

Feedback Score

Federal Fusion vs Federal and Winchester soft point ammo?

Looking at ammo that I either already have or is readily available in my area, can't order ammo online anymore in New Yorkistan.

Our house is a ranch style (everything on one floor) that's fairly open inside and there aren't other house close by. Our carbines are M4's with 16 inch, 1 in 7 twist barrels.

I've seen Federal Fusions (non-MSR) mentioned as being good for home defense when barrier's may be likely. When barrier's are unlikely, are they still good for HD?

Years ago I saw where Winchester 64gr. Power Points (exposed lead tip soft points) were supposed to be good when barrier's were unlikely. Is this still true today?

I also have and can readily get Federal 55gr and 64 gr. Power Shok, they're similar to the Winchester Power Points and I assume they work the same.

Any insight into these rounds would be appreciated.

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm not sure there is a better all around performing round for the price than Fusion, and if there is I haven't found one yet. The terminal aspects of Fusion are well documented, but it's unusually accurate nature (for barrier blind loads) is far less documented, and discussed. It's very accurate especially considering the projectile it's using. Out of all the true HD ammos I charted on paper, it's certainly the most accurate out to 100yds.

Anything that is good with regards to being barrier blind will be effective on both blind, and unobstructed targets.

To give you an idea how consistent, how much expansion, and those effects on an unobstructed medium (in this case, a DIY bullet water tank was used). I hope my old photobucket pics show up for you....if not I'll try and post them using imgur.

The two best HD rounds that are commonly found at local big box stores I've found are 1. Fusion 2. Barnes VOR-TX TSX 55gr.

EDIT: Compare the unobstructed recovered rounds with the one recovered after a sheet rock test I performed....(these tests are taken from a much longer thread I OP'd some time ago)

Sheetrock/wall test...Fusion 62gr.....25yds....MRP CQB 10.5"

For comparative purposes(see first post in the OP...fusion into bare jugs @ 25yds), hopefully you'll note that the fusion remained fully intact after passing through the barrier, where it then exhibited excellent early upset in the first and second jugs, almost fully expanding by the time it reached the third jug.........whereby it began to rapidly yaw upwards and to the right penetrating another half jug completely and landing right outside of it.

Short and simple...the wall made about 10% of the bullet not fully expand...thus making it actually drive deeper, and yawing as it ended it's travel.

This was at least for myself very reassuring to see, and exactly how I had expected this to fusion to perform when encountering a light barrier such as a wall. Sample of one...fwiw.

Before:

After:

Last edited by ALCOAR; 11-01-18 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    Looking at ammo that I either already have or is readily available in my area, can't order ammo online anymore in New Yorkistan.

Our house is a ranch style (everything on one floor) that's fairly open inside and there aren't other house close by. Our carbines are M4's with 16 inch, 1 in 7 twist barrels.

I've seen Federal Fusions (non-MSR) mentioned as being good for home defense when barrier's may be likely. When barrier's are unlikely, are they still good for HD?

Years ago I saw where Winchester 64gr. Power Points (exposed lead tip soft points) were supposed to be good when barrier's were unlikely. Is this still true today?

I also have and can readily get Federal 55gr and 64 gr. Power Shok, they're similar to the Winchester Power Points and I assume they work the same.

Any insight into these rounds would be appreciated.

Thanks, NYH1.
    I wouldn’t hesitate to use any of those mentioned for HD. All have fantastic terminal ballistics for self defense.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Cool. Thanks guys!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have found Fusion in 308 to be surprisingly accurate as well. Very good prices and shot very well.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Yes fusion is good even without barriers.
    MSR and non-MSR perform the same.
    Keep in mind a “barrier” can include things like arms, hands, magazines in a chest rig, an abortion of twisted metal your wife calls a “centerpiece”, etc.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-01-18 at 19:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Yes fusion is good even without barriers.
    MSR and non-MSR perform the same.
    Keep in mind a “barrier” can include things like arms, hands, magazines in a chest rig, an abortion of twisted metal your wife calls a “centerpiece”, etc.
    I think I'll go with the Fusion for everything you just mentioned.

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have found Fusion in 308 to be surprisingly accurate as well. Very good prices and shot very well.

PB
    I should probably give them a try in my 280 Rem. and 30-06.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The .308 Fusion is some real nasty stuff

165gr. Fusion / 150gr. TTSX

VS.

62gr. Fusion / 55gr. TSX FB

I think I would take it over the almost twice as expensive TTSX loading as like PB eluded to, my MWS shoots the Fusion around 1.5MOA, whereas the TTSX was well outside of 2 MOA.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Federal Fusion is almost exactly the same bullet as the Speer Gold Dot. I have used the Speer Gold Dot in .223 and seen it hit FAR above its weight class on hogs. BIG hogs.....like 350-400# hogs. One shot in the neck and it DROPPED. No tracking, nothing. I can’t tell you how impressed I was with it. That was a 75gr Speer GD. That is one of our duty rounds for our SPR’s at work. It is THE best overall round I’ve used. We tested MANY, many rounds before we decided on the GD. Accounting for accuracy, terminal performance, reliability, and how well it did on all the FBI tests, it’s GD for us. If you can’t get that, I would have ZERO issue carrying Federal Fusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast