Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal Fusion vs Federal and Winchester soft point ammo?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    The Federal Fusion is almost exactly the same bullet as the Speer Gold Dot. I have used the Speer Gold Dot in .223 and seen it hit FAR above its weight class on hogs. BIG hogs.....like 350-400# hogs. One shot in the neck and it DROPPED. No tracking, nothing. I can’t tell you how impressed I was with it. That was a 75gr Speer GD. That is one of our duty rounds for our SPR’s at work. It is THE best overall round I’ve used. We tested MANY, many rounds before we decided on the GD. Accounting for accuracy, terminal performance, reliability, and how well it did on all the FBI tests, it’s GD for us. If you can’t get that, I would have ZERO issue carrying Federal Fusion.
    Great to hear that. I just bought a few boxes today to use as Coyote and Wolf rounds. With also the possibility of use as a two legged predator defense round as well. Sounds like I might have done alright. I was very limited in what my local stores had on shelves.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You should live it. It’s deceviingly accurate. The BC catches up to it at about 409yds, but I can hit out to 800yds with my KAC LPR wearing my NF ATACR 1-8.

Feedback Score
    Regarding accuracy, my centurion CL barrel and fusion combo (rds and 4x) has produced a couple 1.3"-1.4" 10-shot groups. Lot-to-lot consistency seems to be there, along with good accuracy. Most of the "match" ammo I've tried didnt group as well.

Feedback Score
    The Federal Fusion is almost exactly the same bullet as the Speer Gold Dot. I have used the Speer Gold Dot in .223 and seen it hit FAR above its weight class on hogs. BIG hogs.....like 350-400# hogs. One shot in the neck and it DROPPED. No tracking, nothing. I can’t tell you how impressed I was with it. That was a 75gr Speer GD. That is one of our duty rounds for our SPR’s at work. It is THE best overall round I’ve used. We tested MANY, many rounds before we decided on the GD. Accounting for accuracy, terminal performance, reliability, and how well it did on all the FBI tests, it’s GD for us. If you can’t get that, I would have ZERO issue carrying Federal Fusion.
    I have a couple hundred rounds of the 64gr Gold Dot (bought it cheap a while back from PSA). From everything I have read, other than it being .223 as opposed to 5.56NATO, it is both accurate and quite impressive terminal ballistics-wise. Molon had a good write-up on them a few years ago on here.

My go-to rounds are Mk318, the "FBI load" XM556SBCT3, Black Hills 70gr GMX 5.56mm, and the aforementioned 64gr Gold Dots. All AR's are zeroed using Mk318 (I have the most of that), but I have/will check POI with the others before use.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have some MK318. I just recently ordered some Fusion 62 grain and have my eye out for some Gold Dot 64 grains. These mixed with my MK262 (and similar handloads) should have me pretty well set.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Just ordered some Gold Dots from Targetsportsusa. They have a bunch in stock. Same with Bonefrog and Venturamunitions.

I can vouch for and have ordered from all of then

Feedback Score
    We shot some of the Fusions last week. They shot pretty good. Carbines are loaded with them now.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    It’s actually the same bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I have some MK318. I just recently ordered some Fusion 62 grain and have my eye out for some Gold Dot 64 grains. These mixed with my MK262 (and similar handloads) should have me pretty well set.
    Gold Dot 64gn is no longer made. 55, 62, 75.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Fusion has only recently wandered onto my radar. I have a bolt gun in 7.62X39 that I felt ought to have some decent accuracy potential but it will never be realized with fodder-grade stuff, so over some months I collected various higher-end ammo types. I've been through this cycle a few times and not surprisingly found them much more accurate. Recently I tried Fusion in 7.62X39 and finally got to 1MOA Wonderland with the gun. The previous best grouper was Lapua.... I think the Lapua 7.62X39 is probably the very best in FMJ but Fusion beat the Lapua in group size and it is a much more versatile bullet..... not to mention, the Fusion is actually much less expensive than Lapua FMJ. Not saying I will get 1MOA with Fusion every time but I shot enough of it to know it was not a fluke.

I did the exact same thing with a Saginaw Steering Gear M1 Carbine..... pretty mediocre accuracy with a variety of FMJ ammo. I really thought the gun should do better, so to try and see if it was the gun or the ammo I got some non-fodder-grade stuff to include Fusion and Hornady Critical Defense. Both were better but the Fusion was markedly better, and again, a bullet with broader applications. Considerably more expensive, of course.

All of which offers you, OP, nuthin' I guess, since I have no experience with it in .223 but I'm ordering some right away (I have gel-tested Gold Dot though). But accuracy-wise in these other calibers it's been good for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12