Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Saber

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Honestly, I don't think anyone here carries millspec 1911s.
    Well, if I have to fight, I can only hope that my opponent is armed with a Glock.

But that almost seems like it's too much to ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    So you're already having issues with the gun?
    Yeah, but I wouldn't put it quite that way. I bought it new in 1990, and I used to compete with it. It has tens of thousands of rounds through it, mostly either LRN or LSWC. It's had a crack in the firing pin stop since the turn of the century, and I've been watching it, curious to see if it is ever going to actually break or start clocking.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    Well, if I have to fight, I can only hope that my opponent is armed with a Glock.

?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yeah, but I wouldn't put it quite that way. I bought it new in 1990, and I used to compete with it. It has tens of thousands of rounds through it, mostly either LRN or LSWC. It's had a crack in the firing pin stop since the turn of the century, and I've been watching it, curious to see if it is ever going to actually break or start clocking.
    Then I'm more confused by your OP Q.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    What happened to Golden Saber? It used to be what Springfield recommended for their Milspecs. Talking to them today, now they recommend Federal Ball.
    They'd recommend ball because your pistol (or pretty much any pistol) is less likely to choke on it. That doesn't at all mean that ball is the best to use for defensive purposes. If you're just plinking or target shooting any quality ball should work just fine. If you're using the pistol for defensive purposes, then you need to thoroughly test fire whatever you decide to use regardless of what might be recommended. Remember, you're betting your life on it.

BTW, all lives matter. Don't blame us when the leftist criminal hiding gun grabbers you're supporting decide that you can't be trusted to possess your 1911.
    Last edited by Bret; 11-02-18 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    Golden saber is on the 9mm and 40 recommended lists.
    It fell out of favor, iirc due to more flash over hst/golddot/winchester loads.

Oddly enough GoldSaber is not on the 45 list, but I havent seen why explained. Apparently it doesnt meet the fbi testing protocols.

Another vote for pick a loads off the list and find one that works reliably.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Golden saber is on the 9mm and 40 recommended lists.
    It fell out of favor, iirc due to more flash over hst/golddot/winchester loads.

Oddly enough GoldSaber is not on the 45 list, but I havent seen why explained. Apparently it doesnt meet the fbi testing protocols.

Another vote for pick a loads off the list and find one that works reliably.
    Does the original GS meet the current FBI protocols? Have they updated it? I have not kept track on that one. Back in the day, I recall GS had a poor rep for consistency in terminal ballistics compared to others of the time. Maybe my memory is faulty there.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score

You're carrying a 1911 with issues and thinking your best chance of survival, should you get into a gun fight, is to hope for your opponent to have a Glock. Yeah, that's why two out of three cops carry them...

For the record, the issue with Rem Golden Sabers was a time back when that original list by Dr. Roberts came out. There were some issues with the bullets core separating from their jacket upon expansion, but that's been corrected with the current bonded bullet design. Even then, with the separation, the core portion of the projectiles were still penetrating 12+ inches in the tests...nothing you'd want to be shot with. There wasn't an issue with the bullets jamming or causing any malfunctions.

Still, the Golden Sabers on the market today have some pretty good write-ups. Here's a Rem video on the new design: http://www.remington.com/country/videos/5714613816001

Feedback Score
    Two out of three cops carry them because that's what they're issued. If they were issued slingshots, that's what they'd carry. Thank you, Ayoob.

I'm examining the Federal HST loads. If this doesn't work out. I'm just going to start with the Hornady JHP and load my own carry rounds. At least then I'll always be able to get more. And I'll be able to train with what I carry.

Actually, the more I think about it, the better loading my own rounds sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Then I'm more confused by your OP Q.
    I was wondering where Golden Saber went is all.

I went looking for it the other night and couldn't find it.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    Can we delete this from the internet before the 93r and belt keepers become the next subject?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Does the original GS meet the current FBI protocols? Have they updated it? I have not kept track on that one. Back in the day, I recall GS had a poor rep for consistency in terminal ballistics compared to others of the time. Maybe my memory is faulty there.
    The 9 and 40 (forget exact bullet weight, but I assume 147/180) are currently on Docs list, though he prefers HST.

He has stated anything on his list he would carry without question.
    As a general rule, I avoid Remington stuff whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Budget View Post
    Can we delete this from the internet before the 93r and belt keepers become the next subject?
    Haha, this is going places. Most of the boxes have been checked.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-02-18 at 23:06.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast