Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I don’t shoot enough to break anything.

But, I recall a P&S modcast that referenced building materials, with an offhand comment about Geissele’s construction of the maritime. Not negative, just not positives.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Kind of bringing this back from near death -

Has anyone broken a Maritime Catch?

The reason I ask is that I broke one today and don't know how it happened. I was practicing shooting transitions around a barricade using a poor man's sling ding (my fist wrapped around the sling) and when I went to reload, the upper pad was MIA. I don't think I bumped it against anything, kind of a mystery. I found the upper pad while I was policing brass, here's where it broke:

Attachment 56533

I'm not too worried, going to file it under shit happens, unless others chime in that they've broken them.
    I’ve seen a standard piece break (once), but never one from Geissele. Then again, there aren’t many of the G pieces out there in comparison. Call them up and get a new one sent as a replacement.

On a side note, how do the edges look? Any voids, cracks, pockmarks or anything else?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Please email me and we'll send you one of ours. We had a batch with improper heat treat in 2017, most of them were recalled and destroyed, with some made into key chains as swag. An inglorious end for a billet machined bolt catch, but we'd rather make them inoperable than having them floating in circulation. Properly heat treated ABC/R v1 and v2 units have never been broken in their 4 years in service.

Last edited by Duffy; 03-23-19 at 09:39.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Kind of bringing this back from near death -

Has anyone broken a Maritime Catch?

The reason I ask is that I broke one today and don't know how it happened. I was practicing shooting transitions around a barricade using a poor man's sling ding (my fist wrapped around the sling) and when I went to reload, the upper pad was MIA. I don't think I bumped it against anything, kind of a mystery. I found the upper pad while I was policing brass, here's where it broke:

Attachment 56533

I'm not too worried, going to file it under shit happens, unless others chime in that they've broken them.
    There’s a Forward Control Designs Group on Facebook. IIRC, there has been a fair amount of discussion about the design and construction on the MBC, most of it not good like you said. Obviously FCD has a competing product and Roger has earned a loyal fan base (myself included) but it didn’t seem like there were unfounded claims or anything. I’m replacing my one and only MBC with another ABC/R whenever the new one comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Please email me and we'll send you one of ours. We had a batch with improper heat treat in 2017, most of them were recalled and destroyed, with some made into key chains as swag. An inglorious end for a billet machined bolt catch, but we'd rather make them inoperable than having them floating in circulation. Properly heat treated ABC/R v1 and v2 units have never been broken in their 4 years in service.

Thanks, Duffy.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I’ve seen a standard piece break (once), but never one from Geissele. Then again, there aren’t many of the G pieces out there in comparison. Call them up and get a new one sent as a replacement.

On a side note, how do the edges look? Any voids, cracks, pockmarks or anything else?
    I have several standard catches in the parts bins, so, I took one and clamped it into my vise by the catch portion (if you know what I mean) and rapped against the upper paddle with a plastic mallet several times, no joy. I took a standard ball pein and rapped it twice pretty firmly before it snapped.

I have 4 or 5 new MBT's hanging on my parts pegboard, I momentarily thought about doing the same destructive test on one of them, but IIRC, I paid 20 bucks each for them and I decided not to.

As per the condition, I pieced the MBT together, there didn't seem to be any chips missing, it apparently snapped clean. Likewise there weren't any voids in the edges:

Attachment 56540

Doesn't it look like this is a MIM or cast part versus machined from billet as the Forward Controls ABC/R?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I just realized that I hadn't thanked Duffy for taking care of me on this deal.

My service rifle is now wearing a ABC and an EMR-A.

There is some debate as to whether the ERM-a is legal, but I'm going to wait until someone at a regional match calls me on it. My thought is BAD levers are legal and the EMR-A doesn't change the receiver.

Thanks to Duffy for taking care of me with this issue, despite it being a Geissele product, and also for his factual advice to all on many subjects.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    As the guy that runs FCD and designed our EMR-A, I have written and posted my thoughts on our site http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com...y_ep_53-1.html , it goes into detail as to why on our bolt catch, we kept the size of our ABC/R moderate and measured.

Bear in mind that ABC/R was a concept in 2011 that became production units in 2015 after I left Battle Arms, and predates the MBC by several years.
    Bro. You guys do good work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you guys 26 Inf, what are your thoughts on the ABC/R v2?

There are many with vastly more knowledge and experience on m4c, I share my observations and findings from product development, not everyone will find them relevant or useful, but there are more that do on m4c than elsewhere.

Without passing judgement on the superiority of either product's design, construction method and product maturity, we've simply arrived at different conclusions as to how a bolt catch should, and could be used.

ABC/R v3 will have couple of upper paddle options to better suit users with different reload manipulation techniques. ABC/R v1 and v2 upper paddles are centered, v3 will have centered, and biased options.
    Last edited by Duffy; 04-22-19 at 10:30.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    My Maritime Latch is GTG, but I would like to have a cool key ring like that!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast