Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen5 Half Moon Cutout

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Glock Gen5 Half Moon Cutout

The current Gen5 G45 / G19MOS / G17MOS etc, no longer have the half moon notch in the magwell of the frame. Will the rest of the "standard" Gen5 19/17/34 new production frames be made without the notch?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It will be interesting to see. I read in the CBP pistol solicitation that the front of the grip must be even across the bottom edge. I wonder which version will win out in the long run. David

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I heard supposedly reliable rumors on another forum that they will offer pistols without the cutout, and will they offer them both ways ? I guess we will just have to wait and see. To me, if the cutout doesn't bug you while shooting, having it is a plus, and if it does bug you, it's a negative, it's that simple. I pretty much feel the same about having forward grip slide serrations, but given the choice and seeing how slick the new DLC slide coating is, I would probably prefer to have them. I know I am in the real small minority in this, but given the choice, especially if I were in law enforcement, *I* would also probably prefer a nice and well though out manual thumb safety on my pistol.
    Last edited by Biggy; 11-03-18 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I know I am in the real small minority in this, but given the choice, especially if I were in law enforcement, I would also probably prefer a nice and well though out manual thumb safety on my pistol.
    Why would you want a manual safety on your pistol specifically if you were in law enforcement?

I'm asking because most LE duty holsters are level II or III retention, and most officers have received some degree of weapon retention training.

In my experience, commonly used police sidearms are safe enough without the addition of a manual safety.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I first saw the G19 Gen 5 MOS back in September, the Glock rep told me that they had to produce the Gen 5s with the cutout initially because of the FBI contract. I.e. that was the frame they were making for the FBI, so the civilian Gen 5s went into production with the same feature. He said they listened to customer feedback, but it took time for them to implement the change to the frame without the cutout. I took that to mean that they have no intention of putting the cutout on future pistols. I’m expecting that the non-cutout frame will be phased in just like the bevel was on the front of the frame to match the rounded slide. There won’t be any model designation, they will just start shipping new Gen 5 pistols without the cutout.

I’m interested to see if they standardize on having the forward slide serrations, or if they’ll just continue have the “FS” models as an option. I’m keeping an eye out for a Gen 5 G19 FS with no cutout...

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Why would you want a manual safety on your pistol specifically if you were in law enforcement?

I'm asking because most LE duty holsters are level II or III retention, and most officers have received some degree of weapon retention training.

In my experience, commonly used police sidearms are safe enough without the addition of a manual safety.

You are correct about the good retention holsters and training as the % of cops getting killed with their own guns is way down from 20-30 years ago, but occasionally it still happens even with the retention holsters and training, because sometimes things don't always go as planned. So it *could* buy you some time and save your life in some situations. It would just be my minority preferance *if* I were in law enforcement, which I am not.
    Last edited by Biggy; 11-03-18 at 08:29.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Common LE sidearms are mechanically safe enough and retention holsters / training have helped but nothing is perfect.

From an LE perspective a manual safety is more valuable for weapons retention / weapons retention failure.

The primary reason you don’t see more LE sidearms with manual safeties is it requires more of the already limited training time.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-02-18 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

This is mostly answered by this:

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Common LE sidearms are mechanically safe enough and retention holsters / training have helped but nothing is perfect.

From an LE perspective a manual safety is more valuable for weapons retention / weapons retention failure.

The primary reason you don’t see more LE sidearms with manual safeties is it requires more of the already limited training time.
    Somewhere, I have a book written by Massad Ayoob where he says that he is personally aware of two or so LEOs whose lives were saved by the presence of a manual safety on their duty weapon(s). I believe that Todd Green† and Doctor Roberts have shared similar opinions on the availability of manual safeties on LE duty weapons.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The notch didn’t bother me on Gen 2s and it doesnt bother me on Gen 5/Ms.

The cut out and Gen 5 magazine lip are for one handed malfunction clearance / stripping a mag out one handed. In excels at this.

If you think you may get in a gun fight you should be aware you may get shot and train / plan accordingly. If this is your reality the cut out is a good feature.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I just got a g19.5. I was scared the cut out would bug me. I didn’t notice it at all. Got it this week and shot 399 rds in a short period. SHO, WHO, 2 handed, fast and slow. I was a happy boy.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast