Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen5 Half Moon Cutout

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm mindful of anecdotes about manual and magazine safety saves. Still, they are outliers and I have no use or interest in an external safety on a DA/DAO service or CCW pistol. For an LCD, the downside may even outweigh the benefits. In a striker fired safety-less world, many curriculums don't even discuss safety manipulation. Instructor competencies in teaching safety lever management are fading. Heck, some can barely teach a decocking lever.

Glocks with manual safeties exist. I suspect that if any agency of enough note wanted them they'd have them. CONUS LE demand is likely too low to measure, probably the same on the commercial side as well.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    A safety is only useful on a weapon with an exposed trigger on my opinion. If the gun is in it's holster there is no need for a safety. The holster itself is the safety.

Just keep your damned booger hook off the trigger when unholstered. It's pretty damned simple. You wouldn't keep your finger on the trigger when walking in the woods with a rifle now would you. What makes anyone that should know better want to do that with a handgun?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Got it this week and shot 399 rds in a short period.
    Not 400, not 398. Exactly 399. LoL.

I just picked up a 19 Gen 5 MOS, shooting it for the first time tomorrow. Looking forward to watching it launch brass into the next county like guys are saying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    A safety is only useful on a weapon with an exposed trigger on my opinion. If the gun is in it's holster there is no need for a safety. The holster itself is the safety.

Just keep your damned booger hook off the trigger when unholstered. It's pretty damned simple. You wouldn't keep your finger on the trigger when walking in the woods with a rifle now would you. What makes anyone that should know better want to do that with a handgun?
    Your comment doesn’t fit the thread. The discussion is not about manual safeties preventing negligent discharges. They are talking about it providing an extra measure of time/protection if a bad guy gets the LEO’s gun away and tries to use it. Bad guy has to figure out how to make it fire and that might be enough time for the LEO to draw a second gun, escape, disarm, etc.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Not 400, not 398. Exactly 399. LoL.

I just picked up a 19 Gen 5 MOS, shooting it for the first time tomorrow. Looking forward to watching it launch brass into the next county like guys are saying.
    Meant it to be 400. I brought 100rds of Gold Dot. I brought enough for 2 additional mags to carry on the way home and forgot the plus 1 round so I shot 99 instead of 100 so I could load the plus 1. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    This is mostly answered by this:

Somewhere, I have a book written by Massad Ayoob where he says that he is personally aware of two or so LEOs whose lives were saved by the presence of a manual safety on their duty weapon(s). I believe that Todd Green† and Doctor Roberts have shared similar opinions on the availability of manual safeties on LE duty weapons.
    Well Massage is the Louis L'Amour of gun writers so he ought to know. Their actually have been a couple saves when officers were able to punch the mag release button and drop the mag enough on their 39 series Smiths in order to activate the magazine disconnect, and a couple when DA/SA autos with slide mounted safeties were carried with the safety engaged. I'm not really aware of any with frame mounted safeties.

So, lets put slide mounted safeties on our pistols, and equip them with magazine disconnects.

Even better let's start teaching empty chamber carry and the Izzy Draw.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Here are a some cases where a manual thunb safety *might* have made a difference. Okay, now back on topic, * Gen 5 half moon cutout *

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...ies-on-or-off/
    Last edited by Biggy; 11-03-18 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Went to my LGS today to check their inventory, All current std model 19/17 in their inventory still have the notch.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    When I first saw the G19 Gen 5 MOS back in September, the Glock rep told me that they had to produce the Gen 5s with the cutout initially because of the FBI contract. I.e. that was the frame they were making for the FBI, so the civilian Gen 5s went into production with the same feature. He said they listened to customer feedback, but it took time for them to implement the change to the frame without the cutout. I took that to mean that they have no intention of putting the cutout on future pistols. I’m expecting that the non-cutout frame will be phased in just like the bevel was on the front of the frame to match the rounded slide. There won’t be any model designation, they will just start shipping new Gen 5 pistols without the cutout.

I’m interested to see if they standardize on having the forward slide serrations, or if they’ll just continue have the “FS” models as an option. I’m keeping an eye out for a Gen 5 G19 FS with no cutout...

While i recognize the usefulness of the cutout, its just too sharp for me. Is there anyone out there doing professional work to soften the edges of the cutout? The old have your cake and eat it too...
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    Some interesting info on the new Glock releases by a guy embedded in the industry: http://toppodcast.com/show-detail/?showId=3518287 There is some discussion at 6:00 about the half moon cut regarding the G45.

I really like this podcast...Ben Masterson is a prolific martial arts and firearms trainer and gun writer. Episode 14 is an outstanding discussion on concealed carry legalities with a firearms lawyer.

http://toppodcast.com/podcast_feeds/...killset-radio/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast