Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPA Chassis Experiences?

Feedback Score

Question MPA Chassis Experiences?

Been looking to get into PRS shooting. I have a 308 in and AICS that I'll run until I figure out the 6.5/6/224V path. For my son, we just have my old Premier 3-15 and are looking at a rifle. Bergarra, Ruger Precision Rifle's and others. Also looking spending a bit more and a Nucleas action and chassis. I've seen and finger banged some of the MPA chassis, but I was wondering how people like them? Simple, rugged, light (and configurable). I know there is always something new and more awesome coming.

If money were nothing, I'd just get us matching AI-AXs. The Nucleas actions with the BAR-LOC and an MPA chassis seemed like a 'poor-mans' way to a similar, configurable rifle.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm hoping my Lite chassis with folder will arrive in the next 2-3 weeks for the Tikka .223 Varmint. Once it does I will give some feedback. I'm over 16 weeks now by the way---
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I did see that they have a pretty long lead time, so if I want one for next years season, I'll need to pull the trigger soon.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The MPA is definitely the top dog in the world of PRS chassis at the moment, though the new MDT ACC looks like it could be an even better PRS specific chassis, especially in terms of altering the weight of the rifle. Some other options to look at are the MDT ESS, KRG Whiskey-3 and Bravo, and the new Magpul Pro 700 (which is an awful lot like an AICS AT updated to 2018 standards). My TL3 is sitting in a KRG Bravo right now and I like it a lot, but will probably upgrade to a Whiskey-3 at some point.

I wanted to do the switch-barrel thing also, but with a custom action that would allow me to use Remington 700 footprint stocks/chassis and triggers. I looked at the Nucleus, Bighorn TL3, and Impact 737R, and ended up going with the Bighorn. It seemed like the best combination of features and price (easily swapped bolt heads, integral recoil lug, controlled round feed, mechanical ejection, etc.) and I liked the idea of being able to either order shouldered pre-fit barrels without having to send the action to a smith or using savage prefits with a barrel nut. Swapping shouldered barrels is simple and only requires a torque wrench, barrel vise, and action wrench (and some guys simplify it further by having flats cut on the barrel and just using a crows foot and torque wrench).

My understanding is that the ARC Barloc eliminates the need for a barrel vise and torque wrench (though you need some sort of torque screw driver for the barloc screw) but that you do need to use a headspace guage when installing a barrel. Shops like PVA will cut shouldered pre-fits for the Nucleus, but only after measuring your action as there is a little more variation between individual Nucleus actions than with TL3s.

My only real complaint with the Bighorn is that the action can have a tendency to bind if you put lateral pressure on the bolt when running it. I've shot and dry-fired it enough now that I don't have that problem, but it was frustrating in the beginning. I decided against the 737R because of cost. Additional bolt heads from Bighorn are $125, while a complete bolts from Impact are $450. I love my Bighorn, but if I had to do it over I would probably suck it up and buy the Impact, as they don't have the binding issue and really are a lot slicker than a TL3. Curtis actions are also very nice, but again are more money.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 11-19-18 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am very happy with my MPA Hybrid. I have run both my Kelbly Atlas and BAT VR in it with excellent results. I have two bolts for the BAT, a .473 and a Magnum bolt, and can say that from 6BRA up to 300 WSM the MPA Hybrid has never let me down.

If you dig around online you may find one of their dealers with some chassis in stock.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Out of all the chassis, MPA is the best imho. They are driven a bit more aggressively than say a manners, which is very relaxed shooting. If your considering PRS matches/style of shooting, you will not be hindered by the MPA at all.

My Nucleus is still sitting in the box atm. So can't really say much about it. I am shooting a TL3 atm, which is very good also. I would save some bucks and get a nucleus/origin.

I would also recommend a 6.5 creed over a 6 anything for a guy just starting out. While they are nice, they are also barrel burners compared to a 6.5. With a 6, it quite easy to burn out 2 barrels a year. So 2 guns in a 6 caliber means 4 barrels a year for you and the kiddo.

Its much more economical to shoot a 6.5 creed. And do get a 26" barrel.

I assume you do reload ???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    I would also recommend a 6.5 creed over a 6 anything for a guy just starting out. While they are nice, they are also barrel burners compared to a 6.5. With a 6, it quite easy to burn out 2 barrels a year. So 2 guns in a 6 caliber means 4 barrels a year for you and the kiddo.
    You aren't wrong!

Here is my pile of 13 blanks that I have at home, also have 2 with gunsmith, one of which should be out of the lathe today... I know what I am doing this weekend.

IMG_2385.jpg

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have an MPA hybrid and love it. Phil is also easily accessible should you have questions. Their customer service is great.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    I'm running a left handed one with a Defiance Deviant action in 6.5x47..Still doing load development so dont have alot of time on it, but I love the modularity. Very comfortable stock . I didnt think I'd dig the vertical pistol grip on it, but its actually very ergonomic.

Feedback Score
    I'm starting to narrow it down to the MDT ACC. I'm liking the M-Lok rails and it looks like I can get one a few months faster. I like the MPA's holes on the bottom of the forend for barrier blocks and stuff.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast