Thread: LPVO Resale Question

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

LPVO Resale Question

So I'm looking to pick up a LPVO. Not wanting to do a "what to buy" thread as I see lots of those.

Since I am newer to optics, I am trying to get a better understand of general resale and if certain brands are harder to sell. I'm thinking for cases of life events requiring reselling, or simply evolving to newer requirements/setup as I get more experienced.

I have been researching and am narrowing in on 3 main choices:

Vortex Razor GEN II-E
    Kahles K16i
    Nightforce ATACR 1-8

I am sure there are many more I could consider, and will keep researching. But for now these brands have had attribute(s) that I feel would work great for my plans.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In regards to resale-

Kahles is more a niche brand (if not a damn fine scope).
    Vortex is arguably not in the same league as either Kahles/Nightforce, but should be an easy re-sell.
    Nightforce retains value well and is an easy re-sell.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    My observation: Expect a minimum 25% depreciation on reselling a scope in excellent condition and current technology (usually less than a year old).

Best recommendation: buy used if you are worried about resale.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LPVO stands for Low Power Variable Optic which has come to define any riflescope with magnification range starting at 1x or close to it. Almost every manufacturer has one of these in the stable and sometimes more than one.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    So I'm looking to pick up a LPVO. Not wanting to do a "what to buy" thread as I see lots of those.

Since I am newer to optics, I am trying to get a better understand of general resale and if certain brands are harder to sell. I'm thinking for cases of life events requiring reselling, or simply evolving to newer requirements/setup as I get more experienced.

I have been researching and am narrowing in on 3 main choices:

Vortex Razor GEN II-E
    Kahles K16i
    Nightforce ATACR 1-8

I am sure there are many more I could consider, and will keep researching. But for now these brands have had attribute(s) that I feel would work great for my plans.
    Resale for the atacr is probably $1600 among connected people, $2000-2400 for the masses.
    Razor is 750 for the old one, 1k to 1200 for the E until that market softens due to saturation.
    Kahles is 14 to 1600.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I personally prefer to buy lightly used optics, as this typically will get you in at a price that allows you to try it out and sell it at either no loss or very little loss should you decide the optic is not exactly what you want. The Snipershide optic sales board is a great place to find deals. Lots of guys buy and sell there and the prices are typically the best you can find.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I personally prefer to buy lightly used optics, as this typically will get you in at a price that allows you to try it out and sell it at either no loss or very little loss should you decide the optic is not exactly what you want. The Snipershide optic sales board is a great place to find deals. Lots of guys buy and sell there and the prices are typically the best you can find.
    I only buy used from ocd people though. Im wierdly odd about glass.