Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POI off, again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

POI off, again

Every year I site in my 6.8 for deer hunting, every year the poi shifts. This year is no different, 6" high/right. I would make adjustments and all is good, consistent 2" patterns at 100 yds. Can shoot it all afternoon, the next day, ... 2"pattern. Next year it's off again. What the heck!? Palmetto upper, 16", cheap bushnell 2-7 power scope, A1 rear stock, magpul front hand guard.
    Scope and mount are tight. Barrel seems tight but don't have a wrench to check it. Same ammo (110 gr hornady).

What am I missing?

I didn't fight it this year, took out my SR25 and confirmed a quick ~1" group right at the center of target. I prefer the 6.8 because it's lighter.

NIXDSG
    Last edited by NIXDSG; 11-04-18 at 17:54.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If it is a cheap scope, it probably got bumped and threw the zero off.

Feedback Score
    ^^^ what he said. Invest in a better scope and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Yep...either the springs in your scope are weakening with time, or your barrel isn't quite as tight as you think it is... I don't suppose you've tried iron sights..?
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    I think you’ve answered your own question with “PSA upper & cheap Bushnell scope”. I’d say that’s probably your problem.

Feedback Score
    I've not used irons for a while now, not sure my eyes would allow it. That said, I have a second rifle that's the same, with irons. Never fired it. I like it a lot in that its very light and handy. Might have to try it.

I put a different scope on it of much higher quality. I just need to zero it. Odd thing is, when the bushnell was zeroed last it was perfect. Shot 3(?) Boxes of shells.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It is VERY likely the internal spring. When you zero it, it will be great. When it sits, temp change, stresses on the internal components, etc cause the spring to settle or shift. Then, you take it out and voila...it’s off. There’s an awesome video around that shows a Bushnell Elite Tactical with the erector assembly exposed. It shows what happens when scopes are adjusted. Really neat, and educational.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    There’s an awesome video around that shows a Bushnell Elite Tactical with the erector assembly exposed. It shows what happens when scopes are adjusted. Really neat, and educational.
    If you or anyone else can post a link to that video, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Why do you risk your hunt every year with cheap mount and optic? Buy once, cry once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast