Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for truth behind Federals HST 124+p

Feedback Score

Looking for truth behind Federals HST 124+p

Gentlemen:

I own an H&K VP9 and looking for a proven 9mm round for home defense. The round I am considering is Federals HST 124+p! For many years South Bend, Indiana police used Corbons 40 caliber 135gr. with outstanding
    results. I have read that South Bend is using Federals 124+9 9mm with similar results as the Corbon 40 cal. 135gr.. Please note that my shooting skills are very good --I just want to have a darn good ammo to up my chances of living another day. Does anyone have any knowledge on police depts. using Federals HST 124+p and the results the police are having with this ammo?

Other ammo suggestions are invited.
    Thank-you for your time & attention

SEMPER FI!

Feedback Score
    Nothing wrong with it at all. My wife's Glock 43 is loaded with the 124gr +P HST.

My personal preference in 9mm is the 147gr +P HST. I have it in my Glock 19's, Kahr PM9, and Walther PPS M2.

Again, nothing wrong with the 124gr +P version.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Docgkr recommends that load. Since he probably the single leading authority on terminal ballistics, i take his work if something is good or not. He seems to like the 147 gr vetter, but hasnt explicitly stated there is much difference.

Fwiw the 147gr hst is what he uses as a control for his testing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If your local PD is choosing duty ammo based on FBI spec testing you will have picked a good SD load by luck.

HST has a good performance record in testing and LE use. Just make sure it runs well in your pistol.

Getting lucky is not the optimal way to choose SD ammo. Look for loads that meet the FBI testing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    HST is my go to round in all flavors. For your sake, I’d get some 124+P and 147 and shoot both for groups. See what your gun does better with. I’ve always leaned heavy for caliber.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    If your local PD is choosing duty ammo based on FBI spec testing you will have picked a good SD load by luck.

HST has a good performance record in testing and LE use. Just make sure it runs well in your pistol.

Getting lucky is not the optimal way to choose SD ammo. Look for loads that meet the FBI testing.
    Luck NEVER had me consider this round of ammo. This choice came by way of talking to a lot of LEOs. My experience both in the Marine Corps and civilian life working with police- gave me more then enough experience -along with investigation of ballistics thru LEO gives me an edge in choosing a highly functional ammo for my needs.
    Last edited by veteran-USMC; 04-29-18 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unfortunately there are still departments that issue whatever the chief read about in a gun mag. It's not personal.

Anything cor-bon is a red flag to me, so they either got lucky or changed to real terminal ballistics with the HST.

Feedback Score
    Iirc, the +p is preferred in 124gr.
    147 both std and +p perform well, though for standard and compact pistols, you dont really gain anything other than blast and recoil. If i can find his thoughts ill update. Can anyone else confirm, its been a while since ive seen it discussed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hornady Awarded FBI Service Ammunition Contract in 9MM Luger +P 135 gr FlexLock® Critical Duty

http://www.gunsandammo.com/news/horn...m_content=news

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have found the 147gr HST to be an easier shooting round than the 124 +P, at no loss to terminal performance.
    Really can't go wrong with either though.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast