Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Shim / Peel Washer Comparison Thread

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Muzzle Shim / Peel Washer Comparison Thread

After having a pretty poor experience with a crush washer on a 7.62 build, I decided I would take the word of the community and upgrade to shims.

One of the common issues I encountered, first getting into the topic, was the variance of companies available and costs.

I am hoping, with this thread, we can post our experiences with the multitude of companies, what they provide, how they provide it, and if you feel like one company has a more effective product. It will help provide a better wealth of information for those searching in the future.

Considering crush washers are nearly as expensive as shim sets, I don't see any reason not to use them in 90% of situations.

Last week I picked up 3 sets, 2 Gemtech and 1 PWS.

Right off the bat, I noticed two major differences: Quality and Quantity.

The Gemtech sets were $4.75 each.
    The packaging for the Gemtechs is nice, doesn't feel cheap, all the shims are separated within the packaging with the instructions. The packing felt 100% reusable for the shims I didn't use.

I started out with the 7.62 build that inspired me, and found that only using 1 .41mm and 2 .25mm gave me the perfect rotation I needed to get my proper torque value. With that, I have over 10 shims remaining from that set.

The Package provided 13 Shims of varying thicknesses.
    4x 0.075mm
    3x 0.13mm
    3x 0.25mm
    2x 0.41mm
    1x 2.0mm

I feel like these shims are very well made. Seem to be pretty square and appear quality. The only difficulty was mixing and matching thicknesses, figuring out what kind of rotation to expect from each washer.

The PWS Shim Set was $4.50 and provided 10 Shims
    The PWS Packaging is simple, effective, and it contains a good set of instructions to follow when trying to figure out how much you need to rotate your muzzle device. Having their product running by degree of turns instead of thickness offers a simplicity not found with the thickness ratings.

However, opening the package effectively renders it (mostly) unusable at that point. You'll have to find another way to re-store your shims and the instructions won't be connected to the packaging any further.

The Package comes with:
    1x Large Spacer (Giving 1 Half Turn of Rotation)
    8x Medium Spacers (Giving 45* of Rotation in Each)
    1x Small Spacer (Giving "smaller" degree of rotation) Which is very thin.

These shims will be effective, without a doubt, however the edges on the large washer seemed a little rounded. I highly doubt it would impact the "face" of the washer, but I liked the squared off edge feeling of the Gemtechs, in comparison.

Overall, I will update this thread for giggles, at some point, in the future when I do more builds. I will pick up a company that isn't already reviewed. Hoping someone here might be able to show off a Surefire packaging, what to expect and what you paid for it at the time.

Thanks if you read this far into a silly thread about shims.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 08-06-18 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve always used Precision Armament’s “Accu-Washer” on muzzle devices that are just a few thou over bore diameter.
    If tolerances are tight between exiting bullet and interior of muzzle device, a single, precision washer seems the way to go.
    I’ve had bullets kiss a baffle with resulting crap accuracy. In these instances I’d used crush washer or stacked shim.

With a MD with more generous tolerances, this doesn’t seem to be as big an issue.

Generally speaking, re. compensators, the more efficient they are, the tighter the tolerances.
    Last edited by gaijin; 08-06-18 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’ve always used Precision Armament’s “Accu-Washer” on muzzle devices that are just a few thou over bore diameter.
    If tolerances are tight between exiting bullet and interior of muzzle device, a single, precision washer seems the way to go.
    I’ve had bullets kiss a baffle with resulting crap accuracy. In these instances I’d used crush washer or stacked shim.

With a MD with more generous tolerances, this doesn’t seem to be as big an issue.

Generally speaking, re. compensators, the more efficient they are, the tighter the tolerances.
    I also use PA set and will continue to do so. IMHO both sets reviewed ar inferior to the PA product.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I also like the Precision Armament accu-washers...I used them to mount my SF FH/suppressor adaptor. Work very nicely and easy to get timing correct. Definitely better than the SF supplied shims.

NC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I used the PA set on my MK12 build and on my 3 gun comp. easy to use for timing and very well machined.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another happy customer for the PA kit.

It is important to read the instructions:

https://precisionarmament.com/v1/wp-...TION-GUIDE.pdf

Instead of reading the printed instructions I focused on the chart and ended up chasing my timing around. Pretty important to note that you start with the #18 shim installed hand tight in order to estimate the degree of rotation needed to time and then refer to the chart.

Not saying everyone is as dumb as me, but, read the instructions.

In the pack I bought there were 18 washers. They were marked with 'bars' with a light bar for 'ones' and a heavy bar for 'fives' so #1 is l and #5 is l with #18 being llllll

Very easy to use.

I bought mine from Brownells - https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54363.aspx

and later found that on the PA site they were $15.00 cheaper: https://precisionarmament.com/produc...washer-system/

Extra washers are $1.99 each on the PA site, so you can keep your kit complete.

The price may not be right if you are simply building 'a' rifle, but if you are putting together multiples, I think it is worth it.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Another happy customer for the PA kit.

It is important to read the instructions:

https://precisionarmament.com/v1/wp-...TION-GUIDE.pdf

Instead of reading the printed instructions I focused on the chart and ended up chasing my timing around. Pretty important to note that you start with the #18 shim installed hand tight in order to estimate the degree of rotation needed to time and then refer to the chart.

Not saying everyone is as dumb as me, but, read the instructions.

In the pack I bought there were 18 washers. They were marked with 'bars' with a light bar for 'ones' and a heavy bar for 'fives' so #1 is l and #5 is l with #18 being llllll

Very easy to use.

I bought mine from Brownells - https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54363.aspx

and later found that on the PA site they were $15.00 cheaper: https://precisionarmament.com/produc...washer-system/

Extra washers are $1.99 each on the PA site, so you can keep your kit complete.

The price may not be right if you are simply building 'a' rifle, but if you are putting together multiples, I think it is worth it.
    Awesome review! I have to say, I will be picking up one of these kits shortly. They seem awesome, and I must have missed them in my google-fu when searching. Or I saw $20+ and subconsciously ignored them not understanding it's a one washer system.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I dont have any suppressors so my muzzle devices are straight flash hiders and it appears I might be the last man on earth using peel washers. And I may only have one left lol

I hate crush washers, they always looked cheap to me. I first remember seeing them on lower end guns first, which is probably why. They became the norm and are usually just fine, Ive used a few but I still rather just time it and torque it. Id be all over shim kits if the device calls for it but rather not spend that money screwing on an A2

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes,
    it's a $25 kit, but should work for 9 installations.

Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Awesome review! I have to say, I will be picking up one of these kits shortly. They seem awesome, and I must have missed them in my google-fu when searching. Or I saw $20+ and subconsciously ignored them not understanding it's a one washer system.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yes,
    it's a $25 kit, but should work for 9 installations.
    But that’s only if you have 9 builds and each requires a correspondingly different starting point no? I.e build one requires 90*, build 2 100*, 3 120* etc?

If they all happen to require 90* you’re going to run out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast