I am looking at upgrading my glass for a hunting rifle and seriously considering the Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52mm. I will do some occasional long range shooting with it but the primary focus is hunting and I'd like it to be able to handle basic hunting I do now all the way to hiking through the mountains in a western state going after an elk.

Some of the biggest things I am looking for are good low light performance, locking turrets, good zero stop, light weight (doesn't have to be the lightest but I don't want it to be a tank either), and quality glass. From the reading I have done the Leupold seems to check those boxes. I was looking at some of the higher dollar scopes like the Swarovski Z8i and while I am sure the glass is nicer I am not sure if the increase in $ would be worth the upgrade from the Leupold but I am willing to spend it if it is.

Are there any other contenders I should toss into the mix? Budget is not a factor but I don't want to spend more if it's not going to really make much difference. I won't be using it this season so I don't need to rush so if there is something else coming out in the near future I can wait for that as well.