Thread: Talk me out of a Leupold VX-6HD

Feedback Score

Talk me out of a Leupold VX-6HD

I am looking at upgrading my glass for a hunting rifle and seriously considering the Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52mm. I will do some occasional long range shooting with it but the primary focus is hunting and I'd like it to be able to handle basic hunting I do now all the way to hiking through the mountains in a western state going after an elk.

Some of the biggest things I am looking for are good low light performance, locking turrets, good zero stop, light weight (doesn't have to be the lightest but I don't want it to be a tank either), and quality glass. From the reading I have done the Leupold seems to check those boxes. I was looking at some of the higher dollar scopes like the Swarovski Z8i and while I am sure the glass is nicer I am not sure if the increase in $ would be worth the upgrade from the Leupold but I am willing to spend it if it is.

Are there any other contenders I should toss into the mix? Budget is not a factor but I don't want to spend more if it's not going to really make much difference. I won't be using it this season so I don't need to rush so if there is something else coming out in the near future I can wait for that as well.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have the 2-12 and 4-24;both are great scopes. I prefer the TMOA reticle. These scopes fill a sweet spot in terms of quality glass while still being light weight and price is very competitive at the moment. I doubt they are as bomb proof as the Mark4-8 models but often times half the weight with very very similar glass quality. I don’t think you can go wrong unless you plan on rolling down a mountain with your rifle bouncing on the rocks.

Feedback Score
    I started reading about Leupold’s not tracking well and that has made me a bit hesitant on pulling the trigger. I really like the ATACR but the weight is something that is making me keep my options open. I feel like when spending $2500+ I need to make sure I get what really fits my wants and needs. That balance of weight, durability, and dependability seems like a tall order.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get a Minox. The only Leupold worth having (at price point) is the 5. If it can't track, locking turrets and zero stop mean nothing and it's garbage. I'd take a little less in glass and more in weight for precision in the mechanicals and a proper reticle. For the $$ you are looking at, there are a number of better choices. See if you can get a used Kahles, Minox or even S&B at a great price. Zeiss, Leica, Swaro and Meopta are solid hunting choices. Look for a Bushnell LHRS, should be on markdown and have a terrific reticle... there's just so much that is better than a Leupy for the money. And the 6's have been plagued with different issues, tracking being the biggest.
    This is just MHO, but Leupold has been going for awhile on name and reputation. They don't make junk per se, but for any and every Leupold scope you put in front of me, I can put 2 or 3 next to it that beat it in nearly every way at similar price points. You can get a Vortex pst gen 2 for less than a vx5, (much less vx6) and you'll have a lot better tracking with better reticle choices. However, glass is not quite as good. But the vx6 glass is inferior to the Vortex Razor... want amazing glass, Minox or Meopta r2.
    If money is truly no object, there's always Hensoldt or Tangent Theta... or wait for Zero Compromise to come out.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 11-14-18 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    Get a Minox. The only Leupold worth having (at price point) is the 5. If it can't track, locking turrets and zero stop mean nothing and it's garbage. I'd take a little less in glass and more in weight for precision in the mechanicals and a proper reticle. For the $$ you are looking at, there are a number of better choices. See if you can get a used Kahles, Minox or even S&B at a great price. Zeiss, Leica, Swaro and Meopta are solid hunting choices. Look for a Bushnell LHRS, should be on markdown and have a terrific reticle... there's just so much that is better than a Leupy for the money. And the 6's have been plagued with different issues, tracking being the biggest.
    This is just MHO, but Leupold has been going for awhile on name and reputation. They don't make junk per se, but for any and every Leupold scope you put in front of me, I can put 2 or 3 next to it that beat it in nearly every way at similar price points. You can get a Vortex pst gen 2 for less than a vx5, (much less vx6) and you'll have a lot better tracking with better reticle choices. However, glass is not quite as good. But the vx6 glass is inferior to the Vortex Razor... want amazing glass, Minox or Meopta r2.
    If money is truly no object, there's always Hensoldt or Tangent Theta... or wait for Zero Compromise to come out.
    Exactly what I was thinking too. Maybe I get a good one but maybe I don’t and I don’t feel like taking that chance when I’m spending a couple thousand when other options don’t have those issues.

That Bushnell seems like a pretty interesting option and at a pretty low price point compared to some of the others I was looking at, going to have to research that one some more.

I started going down the S&B rabbit hole some too and there are so many options it’s hard to wrap my head around it. I feel like I need a S&B For Dummies guide. I am still pretty green when it comes to optics, my best scope is a Vortex Viper PST but I’m getting to the stage in life where I’d much rather buy once and cry once. For the hunting I do now the Vortex is certainly good enough but why stop there.

Feedback Score
    Nightforce SHV 4-14 f-1 should be on your radar. Solid tracking, good glass, and in the viper pst 2 price range.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.