Thread: Worth Opening a Gas Port?

Feedback Score

Worth Opening a Gas Port?

My new 300BLK SBR features a Faxon 8.5" CL 4150 1/8 with a gas port measured at 0.081", per Faxon. Gas Block is a pinned Geissele SGB done professionally by Rainier Arms LLC.

I'm running a Toolcraft C158 BCG, Tubb's LW Flatwire spring (lower pressure version), and inter-switched with an H/H2 buffer. The rifle cycles 123-125gr supers fine but 200-220gr subs will fire and eject but won't cycle. I tried fresh pmags as well. I didn't try a carbine buffer yet. The rifle would seldom lock back on the last subsonic round (only when 1 round is loaded in the mag)

I do have an AAC SDN6 still pending so I will fire subs suppressed BUT since I do like a variety of shooting any 300BLK rounds whether super/subs without a can reliably. Is it worth opening the gas port to .100 or .104? Would having a port this large cause any further issues when it is suppressed? I'm thinking excessive gas blowback.

Specs:

UPPER:
    *Rainier Arms Milspec Forged Upper
    *Faxon 8.5” 300BLK 5R Chrome-lined Barrel 4150 1/8 Twist (Rainier Arms Medium Contour) (.081" Gas Port)
    *AAC BLACKOUT 51T 7.62 Muzzle Brake
    *AAC 7.62 SDN-6 Suppressor (F4 Pending)
    *Geissele Super Gas Block (Pinned)
    *Toolcraft 1B1B6 C158 Phosphate BCG
    *Geissele Super Modular Rail MK4 7” DDC
    *Daniel Defense Fixed Sights Front/Rear
    *Geissele Airborne Charging Handle DDC
    *Geissele Super Precision MRO Lower 1/3 Mount DDC
    *Trijicon MRO (Post 89000 SER.)
    *SureFire M300C Scout Tan + UE07 Tape Switch
    *Cloud Defensive Light Control System Mount MK1 FDE

LOWER:
    *Rainier Arms Forged Lower
    *LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
    *Geissele LPK
    *Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch
    *Magpul Enhanced Aluminum Trigger Guard
    *Griffin Armament Ambidextrous Safety Selector
    *Magpul MOE+ Grip
    *LWRCI Compact Stock
    *LWRCI H2 Buffer
    *BCM 7075-T6 Milspec Receiver Extension
    *Tubb’s Lightweight SS Flatwire Buffer Spring (300BLK/Low Pressure Spring)
    *BCM QD Endplate
    *CrossTac 1-2 Point Sling Coyote Brown

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The barrel appears to be ported for supersonic ammo only.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Many .300 Blackout barrels will not cycle properly with subs when not using a suppressor. This helps to address overgassing situations when the suppressor is added. Shooting subs without the suppressor serves no purpose and wastes ammo.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This could also be a gas block issue. Personally I like adjustable gas blocks. The barrel might be too short to create enough pressure to send back that bolt at 220 gr subs. I was going to suggest Superlative arms but they haven’t made one for 300 blackout. I would say Adams arms but you will have to cut/modify that barrel but for Geissele as the gas tube isn’t compatible with any of Geissele’s barrel nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not sure why you'd want to shoot subs unsuppressed?

I would not open it, I have some cans pending too. I have a 8.5" Aero precision barrel that cycled two kinds of subs with a an H2 buffer. I'm going ditch the barrel, or not bother with it suppressed as I think it have a gaping blow hole of a gas port. This thread makes me think I'll look at the faxon barrels.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If you want to use it all 4 ways - subs, supers, subs suppressed, supers suppressed you will need to open the port up. I would not do anything till you get your can and can do testing with it. As a reference the AAC 9" barrel is .100.

Feedback Score
    It sounds like I may have the same barrel as you have. I purchased it from Rainier had them install and pin a Centurian Arms Gas Block. When I received it, it wouldn't cycle a number of supersonic loads, which made me question the size of the gas port. I called Faxon, and at the time they said it was .082"... which is a little small compared to similar barrell's of the same length.
    I asked them about enlarging the gas port and was advised not to go over .100 . A friend had already gone through the process, so I followed his advise and went up to .086" since I could always go a step bigger, but couldn't go back smaller.
    The Pistol I assembled with this barrel now shoots everything supersonic, and without a suppressor will cycle most sub-sonic's...
    This approach seemed to make the gun very reliable as well... I'm using a standard Buffer Spring and H-Bufffer.

Feedback Score
    Strange if we have the same barrel. Mine cycles supers without issue. Since your port is now .086" are you experiencing any excessive gas when suppressed?

This is the barrel I have

https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-fi...150-5r-barrel/

Feedback Score
    Sorry I have been a little busy... Yep, I have the same barrel. No I have not experienced any excessive gas since opening up the port. This may be in part for Two reasons, 1). I only went up .004 ( a very small increase from the original .082 ) ,and 2) the can has an internal opening of .378", which helps diminish back pressure. I have also developed my own Hand loads, which also helps prevent any over gassing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Shooting subs without the suppressor serves no purpose and wastes ammo.
    This.