Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Voting Age

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

Voting Age

So I was thinking about this when I was in line for an hour this morning to vote.

Should we make the age to vote 21?

There are those that say they are 18 and can serve our country and die for our country. So they should be able to vote. Right?

But then why are people under the age of 21 are not responsible enough to drink alcohol. They are not responsible enough to own a pistol (and now any firearms in some places).

So how are they responsible enough to vote. Voting and lack of voting has killed more people then booze or firearms.

So why let them?

Thoughts
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All of this was litigated over the past 40 years and we are where we are as a result.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The difference in mental maturity between an 18 and 21 year old wouldn’t even move the needle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    'Cause libs wants their votes fresh from the factory. But as long as 18 year olds can go to war, I think they should be able to vote. The other stuff , drinking etc., is window dressing IMO.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    The 15th and the 19th Amendment do not say anything about age. So if we can take away their 2nd Amendment right in the name of safety then why not for the betterment of the nation?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock82 View Post
    'Cause libs wants their votes fresh from the factory. But as long as 18 year olds can go to war, I think they should be able to vote. The other stuff , drinking etc., is window dressing IMO.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    I posted this the other day a DC bill to lower to 16 years to vote local, now they are stating federal.. Wow, just keeps getting crazier.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...ident-58922581

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hell, I'm not so concerned with age, as you have equal amounts of idiot 18 YO's as you do 65 YO's, I'm more concerned with people who do not pay any taxes voting.

I truly believe the qualifier should be if you pay Federal taxes you get a vote on the Dfedral level, if you pay State taxes...etc, if you don't pay taxes, you don't get a vote. Pretty simple.

Why should folks who are not contributing have a say in how the money the rest of us are contributing is used?

Seems pretty simple and fair to me.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    Hell, I'm not so concerned with age, as you have equal amounts of idiot 18 YO's as you do 65 YO's, I'm more concerned with people who do not pay any taxes voting.

I truly believe the qualifier should be if you pay Federal taxes you get a vote on the Dfedral level, if you pay State taxes...etc, if you don't pay taxes, you don't get a vote. Pretty simple.

Why should folks who are not contributing have a say in how the money the rest of us are contributing is used?

Seems pretty simple and fair to me.
    I had this exact debate with my father the other day.

We ultimately agreed, through logic, that if they're not contributing they shouldn't have a say.

HOWEVER, my Father did bring up a point of Land Voting. That wasn't something we wanted, and looking at it subjectively, you could see how those two closely relate.

Feedback Score
    Doc,

I get what you are saying, and there is a certain amount of quantifiable logic behind it, but....

My son, who is 20 yrs old, a full time college student, works part time, pays taxes, and thus far has proven to be very reliable and responsible, voted. He voted the way he did because even at his age he is absolutely disgusted by what he see's in the MSM and on campus as it pertains to the left and their antics.

And yes, I believe he is in the minority in today's world for his age and environment, but still it's one more on our side.

This is why I would be torn when it comes to the idea of changing the minimum age. Personally, I think if you are old enough to go to war, then you should be old enough to vote, buy guns, drink etc.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    if we can take away their 2nd Amendment right in the name of safety then why not for the betterment of the nation?
    I had a similar thought last night. In some states you have to go through a safety course and background check in order to obtain a "permit" to buy and/or carry a firearm. Why not doing something similar with voting? You must present your permit every time you request a ballot, can only vote in person, and must go through another background check each time before receiving your ballot.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast