Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House fire damaged BCM & 1911 advice

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

House fire damaged BCM & 1911 advice

My good friend at work house burned to the ground last week. He and his wife made it out ok but all of his stuff got destroyed. Yesterday he dug through the rouble and found the BCM I built for for him years ago on a mag lower,along with his Kimber. The moe handguard was melted so I threw it away. There is a rainbow effect going on near the fsb due to heat. Does anyone have any advice on anything to look out for on the ar? Im going to take the 1911 to Allegheny arms to see if Josh can do anything for it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Put those guns in a shadowbox or something.

I would not, I repeat NOT, shoot either of those guns. The heat they have been subjected to may have very easily destroyed the strength of the metals in the firearms and rendered them unsafe to use.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rif4trbo View Post
    My good friend at work house burned to the ground last week. He and his wife made it out ok but all of his stuff got destroyed. Yesterday he dug through the rouble and found the BCM I built for for him years ago on a mag lower,along with his Kimber. The moe handguard was melted so I threw it away. There is a rainbow effect going on near the fsb due to heat. Does anyone have any advice on anything to look out for on the ar? Im going to take the 1911 to Allegheny arms to see if Josh can do anything for it.
    Looks more like water damage than heat damage to me. It doesn't take much to melt a handguard. The lower receiver was junk before the fire. Is the oil in the BCG liquid or is it charcoal? That would be a good indicator of how hot it got.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Man I got no advice on this- but damn my breaks for the guy over loss of his home, and of course his weapons..my prayers for him & his.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yea I think it's mainly water damage, and I know the mag lower is junk.i think I'm going to replace all the furniture and rattle can the ar.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Man I got no advice on this- but damn my breaks for the guy over loss of his home, and of course his weapons..my prayers for him & his.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would wonder if some of the AR may be salvageable. The handguard melted and you have discoloration on the barrel, so that's gone. But the rear didn't get hot enough to damage the grip or stock. Check the buffer and extractor o-ring for heat damage. If they're damaged, the whole thing should be considered destroyed. But if not, maybe the upper receiver and BCG may be salvageable?

OTOH, considering what uppers and BCGs cost, is it really worth risking your life?

Feedback Score
    Ask insurance what evidence/docs they need for a claim, get that documentation, then scrap them.
    That looks like major heat damage, I would not shoot any of them. Only alternative would be to restore looks if there is sentimental value.

Edit- just saw that it may be water damage. Still offering same advice. Time/effort put in to restore will likely be the same as a new gun. You pay for insurance, use it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-06-18 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    That's not a BCM. It's a BCM upper on a Mag Tactical lower. Scrap the AR and see if the 1911 is salvageable. I would be more concerned about the house and other items. Maybe insurance will cover it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    IMO, that stuff is toast. File them on the insurance claim and move on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast