Thread: Blue Loctite (Threadlocker 242)...

Feedback Score

Blue Loctite (Threadlocker 242)...

Hey guys,

I've got a really dumb but really easy question. Im about to mount my ACOG with a Laue LT-100 and have a question regarding the loctite it comes with:

If I ever want to remove the ACOG from the Larue mount - will I be able to if I used the loctite? The only experience I have with loctite was a long time ago and I remember it being like super glue on steroids - only to be applied for permanent applications. So I guess I dont know if this stuff is the super super glue I remember or if it just kind of 'helps' the screw stay in place.

If I am able to remove it, is there a process involved or just a little more torque required when taking out the screws?

Thanks!
    Last edited by RandomUser404; 11-06-18 at 15:22.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Yes blue is excellent. Make sure to properly degrease the threads before application. Vibra-tite VC-3 is an excellent alternative as it doesn’t require heat to remove if stuck.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 11-06-18 at 15:27.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Blue 242 is used to keep threads from accidentally loosening from vibration, bumps/bangs, etc. It breaks loose with hand tools. It sounds like your experience is with Red Loctite which requires heat to break loose.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I prefer Vibratite VC 3. ADM recommends this instead of blue

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've used Vibratite on optic mounts for years without any failures to hold. It's more user friendly and can be removed and reinstalled 2-3 times without degreasing the threads and applying new material.

The low strength purple is another option if you have very small fasteners that need to hold but not be permanent.