Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KAC SR-15 Mod1/2 vs 14.5" BCM BFH w/ KMR 13"

Feedback Score

KAC SR-15 Mod1/2 vs 14.5" BCM BFH w/ KMR 13"

Trying to decide which of the two uppers I should get. I've sold my other rifles so this will be my one and only AR15, will be used for range time, HD and SHTF. Will also probably put a 1-4x / 1-6x scope on it. What do you guys think is the better buy/upper?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This is a deep rabbit hole - fortunately you're already looking at great options and other great options.

There is a specific desicion order for this, but it'll help:
    Barrel
    Muzzle Device
    Handguard
    Optic
    Irons/BUSS
    Weaponlight
    Accessories

I'd first decide what sort of barrel you want to go with. If 300m 5"ES groups with match ammo are satisfactory (it takes some solid shooting to make this happen even with good hardware), then that opens up nearly every barrel setup these handguards would live on, and can justify running either a 1-4x or 1-6x optic. Precision requirements (and the weight tradeoffs that come with it) are going to be your primary driver.

Assuming you don't feel compelled to build this around a heavier SS match barrel, then most likely you're comparing the 16" Intermediate gassed KAC barrel from the SR15 in Mod1/Mod2 guise against similar offerings - specifically the BCM ELW or Standard 16" Middy (or 14.5" w/ pinned FH) or the DD 16" Middy based uppers.

Handguards are another big deal - I myself am a big fan of the URX3.1 as a handguard, but I have comparatively large hands that work well around the KAC Hand Stop Panel kit, and really only use the top rail for accessory mounting and the rest for hand placement/hand stops/grip panels. The rest are either KeyMod or M-LOK type handguards (BCM's KMR is obviously KeyMod, as is the NSR from Noveske, and SLiM from DanielDefense. Geissele has their handguards in both configurations, and others like the Centurion CMR use a different setup entirely). These are lighter handguards, but are somewhat specific about how they interface with various control accessories and weaponlights.

The optic comes last in that decision process, along with the optic mount. Really would need research on that, then a separate thread. Still, for a lighter overall setup, a good 1-4x is probably going to be better in both weight and quickness at the 1x side of the zoom range.

IF you want a KeyMod setup, as a complete item it'll be quite hard to beat the BCM complete offering that suits your needs best. As much as I really like the Mod1 SR-15, the Mod2 is even lighter with almost all the same capability and more accessories, but the KMR handguard is one step lighter (even adding a rotation limited QD sling mount) and more importantly comes with a wider variety of barrel configurations (not that the KAC contours for 16" and 14.5" carbines aren't great for intended roles).

To me the real star of the BCM KMR lineup is the ELW contour barrels - read up on how MarkM and Pappabear are getting on with theirs in the accuracy department, then look at the weight savings (from the most noticeable part of the weapon no less). That with a smart lightweight 1-4x and some svelte minimalist accessories (M300 / L4-Mini Surefire 3V Light, VCAS Sling) would get you a sub-7# rifle with nearly unbeatable 0-400m capability in that weight class.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...6elw-kmr13.htm
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...4elw-kmr13.htm
    Unless you have to run a pinned brake anyway, I'd run the 16" between these two.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 01-29-15 at 13:07.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    How about the flutted elw? What's the concesensus of elw vs sr15?

Feedback Score
    Don't know if I will sway you one way or the other because I'm not sure your comparison is apples to apples with a 16" vs 14.5" barrel, but here are my very simple thoughts on the two;

I have both uppers you have listed. I have a complete KAC SR-15 Mod 1 rifle. It's the softest shooting AR-15 I've ever owned and it's lighter than it appears. It's a great rifle/upper for verything you are looking to do. The only downside (if you want to call it that) would be the proprietary E3 bolt system. This is my favorite AR due to it's accuracy, reliability, and functional ambidextrious features.

I also own a 14.5" midlength BCM LW upper with a 13.5" KeyMod rail and pinned flash hider to bring it to 16". I bought it for it's lightweight properties. This is my second favorite AR. It's incredibly light (as advertised), it's accurate, and it shoots pretty soft with just a flash hider. What I really like about the KeyMod upper is that it is so low profile and it has very few snag points on it. The only downside of this upper is the lack of built in sling mounts.

If money is not an option, I would go with the KAC upper because of its ambi features and QD sling mounts. You will be surprised at how soft it shoots. However, I don't think you are losing any ground in quality/reliability with the BCM upper if that is what your budget allows. The KAC comes with really nice iron sights and you will have to buy irons and sling mounts for the BCM upper which is probably not a deal breaker for most. The BCM upper is incredibly light. You will be shocked if you've never handled one. In summary: If you want a high quality, functional, durable, feature rich upper; go with the KAC. If you want a light weight, low profile upper; the BCM upper is your choice. Hope this helps a little.
    My mom told me I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up. So I chose to be a man.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarHawk View Post
    Don't know if I will sway you one way or the other because I'm not sure your comparison is apples to apples with a 16" vs 14.5" barrel, but here are my very simple thoughts on the two;

I have both uppers you have listed. I have a complete KAC SR-15 Mod 1 rifle. It's the softest shooting AR-15 I've ever owned and it's lighter than it appears. It's a great rifle/upper for verything you are looking to do. The only downside (if you want to call it that) would be the proprietary E3 bolt system. This is my favorite AR due to it's accuracy, reliability, and functional ambidextrious features.

I also own a 14.5" midlength BCM LW upper with a 13.5" KeyMod rail and pinned flash hider to bring it to 16". I bought it for it's lightweight properties. This is my second favorite AR. It's incredibly light (as advertised), it's accurate, and it shoots pretty soft with just a flash hider. What I really like about the KeyMod upper is that it is so low profile and it has very few snag points on it. The only downside of this upper is the lack of built in sling mounts.

If money is not an option, I would go with the KAC upper because of its ambi features and QD sling mounts. You will be surprised at how soft it shoots. However, I don't think you are losing any ground in quality/reliability with the BCM upper if that is what your budget allows. The KAC comes with really nice iron sights and you will have to buy irons and sling mounts for the BCM upper which is probably not a deal breaker for most. The BCM upper is incredibly light. You will be shocked if you've never handled one. In summary: If you want a high quality, functional, durable, feature rich upper; go with the KAC. If you want a light weight, low profile upper; the BCM upper is your choice. Hope this helps a little.
    I have both and while I agree with most of what SolarHawk has said, my option differs in just a few ways. First, while I am a big fan of BCM and own a lot of their products, KAC is like a Ferrari and BCM is like a Toyota. While I hate these analogies, it's the only thing my dumbass could come up with. I didn't believe the KAC hype before I owned one, now I wish all my stuff was KAC. I own various colt, bcm, Noveske, and LMT guns, nothing tops my KAC E3 mod 1. I also have a BCM 16" with 13" KMR and while that gun is lightweight and fun, but feels like a toy compared to the KAC with URX 3.1 rail.

I only like shooting my SBRs, that is, until I got the KAC, now I'm waiting for someone to get a KAC 11.5" SBR to go with my 11.5 BCM KMR, 10.5 LMT, and 10.5" Noveske.

In short, go KAC, the pain of price will wear off, the quality will last forever. (Not to say BCM is not quality, because it is top notch)
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also have a KAC Mod1 and a BCM with a 16" stainless and 15" KMR. KAC is a couple years old with 5k on it and the BCM is new. KAC for now is still my go to rifle, it is fast, accurate and soft shooting.

I am finding myself really liking the feel of the narrower KMR rail and am hoping it will make a very good 3gun rifle this year.

Price is the only issue as I put the BCM upper on a nice billet lower with HiperFire trigger and still came in around 1k less that a KAC would have run these days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also have a KAC Mod 1 and a pinned BCM 14.5 ELW + 13" KMR and I also echo some of the same sentiments as the others. I love how light my BCM is, but my KAC is my SHTF rifle. I can't wait until the Mod 2 CQB becomes available to the commercial market.

Feedback Score
    99 (100%)
    The BCM KMR upper would be the better buy. Especially if you get the 16" -it comes with a free BCM comp.

The SR-15 is the better upper.

OP, that's just my humble opinion. I do have both a BCM KMR upper and a SR-15 if you are wondering.

Feedback Score
    man! If I go the BCM way I'd be saving money and that money would go towards an optic.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
    man! If I go the BCM way I'd be saving money and that money would go towards an optic.
    That was the unstated central argument for mine - I have a pair of SR-15's, and they are remarkable uppers for being accurate, smooth, and fast... but if you're able to run an A5 buffer system on the lower, and run a nicer optic for the price difference then I'd put the BCM offerings ahead strictly because of that.
    Now that there are really good options for irons (MagPul PRO in whichever flavor you decide you need), and weaponlights, the rest really comes down to the optic.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast