Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA AR pistol Kits

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Just know going in that you never know what you're getting with PSA. You'll either get something that works or it will be a soup sandwich. I've had both with PSA.
    I probably have enough PSAs for 4 complete carbines. Out of those, one upper was swapped out. The "bad" upper had not been completed with the machining / milling process (the outside end of the upper (both sides) where the ch is inserted / crazy). Regarding pistols, my first was a 5.56 w/ gen 1 Shockwave (8.5"). Runs great. I replaced the Shockwave w/ a SBA3 and like it much better. But like you said, it can be a crap-shoot with them. Trying to ween away from them except perhaps for killer ammunition, optics, etc deals.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    upon unboxing and first inspection it appears that my charging handle may be slighty out of spec. Theres a bit of rub from the charging handle on the left side of the reciever right before it latches closed. I can either run it as is, and Im sure it will clearance itself out and leave a nasty mar, or I will just get a new charging handle. Probably the latter since I need to get some other parts anyways.

Also the inside of the reciever and buffer tube do not have the grey coating like my BCM, although the PSA reciever has the same forging mark as the BCM. The BCG appears fine and the gas tube is properly aligned. I can't tell if the gas block has thread locker unless I take the rail off, but I can tell there is a VERY small amount of grease on the barrel nut. I think they are boarding on the line of a little too conservative.

This is only a report on the quality of the upper, as I do not have the LPK put into a lower yet so I cant comment on that quality.

With the Bads out of the way:

This rail is dead SEXY. It looks like a knock off LVOA rail. I'll try and post pictures soon.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    upon unboxing and first inspection it appears that my charging handle may be slighty out of spec. Theres a bit of rub from the charging handle on the left side of the reciever right before it latches closed. I can either run it as is, and Im sure it will clearance itself out and leave a nasty mar, or I will just get a new charging handle. Probably the latter since I need to get some other parts anyways.

Also the inside of the reciever and buffer tube do not have the grey coating like my BCM, although the PSA reciever has the same forging mark as the BCM. The BCG appears fine and the gas tube is properly aligned. I can't tell if the gas block has thread locker unless I take the rail off, but I can tell there is a VERY small amount of grease on the barrel nut. I think they are boarding on the line of a little too conservative.

This is only a report on the quality of the upper, as I do not have the LPK put into a lower yet so I cant comment on that quality.

With the Bads out of the way:

This rail is dead SEXY. It looks like a knock off LVOA rail. I'll try and post pictures soon.
    I have come to accept that's their norm of the upper. Just for kicks, I have tried other CHs and get the same result.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    upon furhter inspection I noticed that there is no chrome lining on the BCG. This is kind of a bummer and I am gonna contact PSA about it. I also noticed that the charging handle is bent and completely out of spec and has a slight bow to it. Im gonna throw it in the trash and get a new one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The product information is quite light regarding the bolt carrier group. If it has a Nitride finish, then it won't be chrome lined, since the Nitride is supposed to be as good as if not better (not in my opinion). If it's got a Phosphate finish, then it should be chrome lined.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    The product information is quite light regarding the bolt carrier group. If it has a Nitride finish, then it won't be chrome lined, since the Nitride is supposed to be as good as if not better (not in my opinion). If it's got a Phosphate finish, then it should be chrome lined.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...164487461.html

I just went and re-read the ad, and it does outline the BCG as having most of the milspec traits. Thank you for pointing out that its nitride as at first I thought they just missed the chrome lining process. I know the pressure and conditions around the gas rings want a good hardness. Im now back to being satisfied with my purchase if all I really have to replace is a charging handle for a serviceable kit. I actually dont hate that it's nitride because I can now objectively compare it to my couple of milspec BCG's with a couple K on them.

I contacted PSA just to see what they will say. Basically just: "Hey the charging handel is bad, and the BCG isnt as advertised" If they dont even respond I wont mind, but CS is a good indicator of a company and Im already posting this much of the process.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I look at them as "you roll the dice and take your chances. Of all the PSA stuff I've dealt with, I've run into exactly one out of spec upper (they replaced it free of charge and didn't even want the defective one back) and one out of spec disco* (I tossed it in the trash and grabbed a spare I had in the AR parts bin). *Definitely do your full function checks prior to loading up at the range!

I just ordered a "Daily Deal" kit from them:

PSA 8.5" Pistol-length 300AAC Blackout 1/8 Phosphate 7" Lightweight M-Lok Classic Shockwave Pistol Kit - 5165449142 $329.99
    PSA "MAD DOG" AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver (not big on gimmicky lowers, but it's SECDEF Mattis and it was on sale for $49.99+$9 S&H to FFL)
    Holosun Micro Sight, Dot Reticle with Shake Awake - HS403GL $119.99
    10 - Sig Sauer 300 AAC Blackout 120gr HT Ammunition, 20 Round Box - E300H1-20 $159.90

So for a complete .300BLK pistol w/Shockwave brace, red dot optic & 200 rds of premium ammo, I'll be out the door at my FFL for $688.87. So long as it works as planned, I'll add a sling, BUIS, hand stop, light and more ammo once it's all tested. Then a Sandman-K once Uncle Sugar gets off their duffs and DONE!

I'll try to post a follow up once it's all sorted out.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Let us know how you like your's!

This morning I recieved an email with RMA instrucions. Honestly I'm not gonna send anything back. So far my my complaints only include a out of spec charging handle and cotter pin. Thats less than $15 in parts. Even though they sent the wrong BCG, Im willing to give nitirde a chance. Until now I only have experience with milspec BCG's so I'll see how this nitirde cleans up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Took the PSA pistol upper out today and put about 200 rounds through the gun. Mainly 55gr reman but I did run a full mag of 77gr to confirm function as thats my go to load. The BCG felt a little tight hand cycling before firing any live rounds, so I was wondering if that would lead to any stoppages, but after racking the charging handle a dozen times it seemed to clearnace whatever sticktion there was and just ran without a single issue. Since it was a brand new upper, I lubed the BCG and barrel extension very liberally, and then applied a good amount of white lithium grease to the charging handle and BCG rails. I feel the white lithium grease helps break in a new upper. I dont regularly use it otherwise. The lower I put the upper on had an H2 buffer and milspec spring from BCM. Brass ejected pretty consistantly to the 3'o'clock suggesting that this 10.5 isnt terribly over gassed as some are. Besides the out of spec charging handle I havent found anything wrong with the rest of the kit and function has so far been perfect. Super happy with my $400 AR. The rail is drool worthy, and the blast forwading device seems to work very well. I'll try and get proper pictures of the gun tomorow and host/post them in the next few days.

I was really surprised that connecting at 2-300 yards on steel ipsc with a red dot was no problem for the little barrel. I havent even properly zero'd the rifle past a rough bore zero, so I cant comment yet on proper group sizes at 100 yards. This range trip was more about testing function, and I cant be happier with the results so far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    For myself I purchased a 10.5 that has the 12" rail and linear comp, and comes with the SBA3. Im really curious if I am going to like or hate the linear comp.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...164487461.html
    I went with almost the same kit, but with a full length rail

Only thing I replaced was the plain end cap (I used a sling adapter for a single point sling)

I haven't got enough rounds through it yet, but so far I'm very happy.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast