Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Brigadier

Feedback Score

Beretta 92 Brigadier

I've heard various discussions about this particular flavor of Beretta 92 but never handled one in person. The chief features seem to be a heavier slide (that Beretta says reduces recoil and enhances durability) and the Hogue wraparound grips. Is accuracy comparable to a standard 92?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Slater;2677160]I've heard various discussions about this particular flavor of Beretta 92 but never handled one in person. The chief features seem to be a heavier slide (that Beretta says reduces recoil and enhances durability) and the Hogue wraparound grips. Is accuracy comparable to a standard 92?
    The slide on the brigadier is beefed up in the area that has been prone to cracking in the 92 series. As far as reduced recoil I honestly can’t tell a difference between a standard slide 92 and the brigadier. Accuracy at least in my hands is identical. If you can get a brigadier especially in the G configuration then go for it, they are an improvement over a standard 92 IMO.

Feedback Score
    You can change the front sight.

Supposedly it arouse to meet requests for a beefier slide for LE 96s.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Yes, I heard that the .40 caliber round was causing premature wear on the standard 92. Haven't heard whether it was actually cracking slides or not.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Yes, I heard that the .40 caliber round was causing premature wear on the standard 92. Haven't heard whether it was actually cracking slides or not.
    Special operations were cracking the slides on their M9s due to their extremely high round counts. Beretta developed the 92G SD working in conjunction with Army operators, one of whom was Dave Harrington. Never heard anything about the 96 series cracking slides, but see how it could be possible due to the higher pressure of the .40 S&W.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    When I needed a Beretta for practice off duty, I went this route. It's a very accurate gun and I can appreciate, in particular, that the front sight is replaceable. I've seen more than a few m9s with dinged up sights that you are stuck with. I've actually used it in 3-gun matches with good success.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post
    Special operations were cracking the slides on their M9s due to their extremely high round counts. Beretta developed the 92G SD working in conjunction with Army operators, one of whom was Dave Harrington. Never heard anything about the 96 series cracking slides, but see how it could be possible due to the higher pressure of the .40 S&W.
    The model they were using was the original 92F, IIRC. There was an incident during which the rear part of the slide separated and injured one of them, so Beretta added a washer to the rear pin, which would potentially retain a broken slide. That model would end up being designated the 92FS.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    They are very nice Berettas, I owned one from the mid-90s to early 2000s.

The slide being beefier was for 40, it's not needed for 9MM but makes for a soft shooter.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Beretta brigadier slide was created in response to the first round of US INS/ Border Border Patrol .40 caliber pistol tests in the mid 1990s. Basically the hot loaded 155 grain duty ammo beat the hell out of all the entrants in the first round of testing. My understanding is the Brig slide was about adding mass to the slide overall and not directly related to any slide failures with .40 cal Berettas.

In the second round of testing only two guns passed, the SIG P229 DAO and the Beretta 96D (DAO) brigadier which got the contract. They were in service from 1996 until about 2003. They were mechanically reliable but had durability issues. Lots of spring failures and small parts breakages. These can usually be traced to the hot 155 grain ammo and in some cases failure to change springs at required intervals.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm_shooter View Post
    The model they were using was the original 92F, IIRC. There was an incident during which the rear part of the slide separated and injured one of them, so Beretta added a washer to the rear pin, which would potentially retain a broken slide. That model would end up being designated the 92FS.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    You are referring to what the SEALS experienced back in the 80’s when the 92 was initially adopted. The slide cracks that Army spec ops were having did not cause the slide to separate from the frame. Dave explained this in a class, I’ll see if I can find a reference online somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast