Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage AR's

Feedback Score

Savage AR's

Seems like everybody and their brother is into AR manufacturing these days. Savage is one brand that I more associate with bolt guns than AR's, but they have a growing lineup. Their "Recon" and "Patrol" models have been getting generally positive reviews for their accuracy (their use of Wylde chambering being a contributing factor?). Don't know about their overall quality/reliability/ etc.

Anyone have any positive/negative experiences with this particular flavor of AR?

Feedback Score
    This being their base model. The barrel gets high marks from most folks, but the Blackhawk furniture and rear sight seem to get a thumbs down:

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/.../msr-15-patrol

Feedback Score
    It’s redundant, but it’s true...Savage is just trying to get their piece of the AR pie. Absolutely zero reason to get anything they have over a known quality brand. Savage makes cheap guns. They always have & they always will. You need only glance at how they outfit their rifles to see what they are. They’re aimed at someone who wants an AR, will probably shoot it 2 or 3 times a decade, put a Barska ACOG knockoff on top & never shoot it again.
    Not trying to be a d***, but with prices what they are now, if you buy one of these or a Ruger, Saint, Sport, PSA, or any other bargain bin POS rifle over a Colt or other known, established maker, you’re making a poor decision.

Feedback Score
    The real question is, are they accurate? Are they reliable? After that the name on the side means little. The Colt snobs just like to hold up their's and say " you gotta have a Colt or it's crap" I have the pants off more guys with overpriced brand name AR's than I can count. Using Olympic Arms rifles. Once the basics are there the rest is up to the shooter.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Why bother with known quantities like Colt, S&W, BCM, DD etc with proven, long term reliability?

Sure, if it's a range toy to finger **** once a year, get whatever you want.

I love hearing these "I out shoot everyone with my High Point" stories, but never see any evidence. So they are just stories.

Feedback Score
    Savage's 4140 barrels are a turn-off for some folks. The flip side is that they appear to be quite accurate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Why bother with known quantities like Colt, S&W, BCM, DD etc with proven, long term reliability?

Sure, if it's a range toy to finger **** once a year, get whatever you want.

I love hearing these "I out shoot everyone with my High Point" stories, but never see any evidence. So they are just stories.
    Let's I have built over 400 Olympic AR's from scratch. Back in the day when they would ship a box of parts including the reciever set.
    All would shoot sub MOA all day long. At the time Olympic was making the best AR's on the market. (Late 80's early 90's) I also refit a number of Colt's that couldn't hold a decent group but did after I installed a new Olympic barrel. So yeah if you have money to throw away just have your cherished name brand on the side go for it.

Like I said once the basics are there the rest is the shooter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Savage's 4140 barrels are a turn-off for some folks. The flip side is that they appear to be quite accurate.
    4140 has been used for barrel making for years with great success. Nothing wrong with it. Again just gun snobs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgreed View Post
    4140 has been used for barrel making for years with great success. Nothing wrong with it. Again just gun snobs.

I believe the M1 barrels were 4140. They did okay.

From everything I've read there is a difference between 4140 and 4150 (of course) and 4150 and 4150CMV:

Note should be made that the steel quoted by the OP was 4150 CMV An examination of the chemical analysis of 4150 per AISI specifications shows that this steel is indeed an easier hardening grade but also that vanadium is not present in the alloy. The confusion in terms of barrel steel is that the correct alloy is not 4150 rather a modified vanadium bearing grade per mil specification. The presence of vanadium acts to slow the response of the steel to heat treatment but also as a grain refiner. This promotes excellent ductilty and a high Kic value.

With this noted buyers should beware that they are not getting what they believe is a premuim barrel steel when in fact the vendor has simply used plain AISI 4150 in place of 4140.

Unless you aim to hold the barrel at a temperature that exceeds the solution temperature for the alloy ie the quenching temperature for a significant period of time, the alloys 4140 and 4150 will behave in a near identical manner. It is virtually impossible to effect the grain structure of the steel at the temperatures found within even a heavily abused weapon. However the following are considerations in the selection of barrel steel

The 4150 CMV alloy will allow more margin for error if an overload condition occurs equally they have a much greater resistance to cracking if a heated barrel is suddenly quenched by seawater, snow, etc. This said M2 barrels have been seen with cracks running the full length following one of the rifling grooves from waves hitting a hot gun

At extreme cold levels the properties of 4150 CMV are desirable if the material is to exposed for significant time periods. It is this cold weather feature that is the primary driver in the material selection.

The selection of essentially a specialized gun steel over a commercial AISI grade is always preferable for a safety critical part. Unless the barrel maker can undertake both chemical and microscopic examination of a "rack grade" steel it is possible that the barrel is manufactured from a coarse grained alloy. This will impact the toughness of the finished part.

Bill Alexander

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...l-better/page2
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    "Cause accurate" is a poor selling point for anyone knowledgeable about the AR platform.

I wouldnt waste money on one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast