Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Constitutional Amendments and the revocation of rights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some years back a political White House hack (can't find the name right now) offered this up: "Stroke of the pen, law of the land. Cool."

They walk among us. And they would herd us into boxcars without a second thought.

And laugh like hell in the process.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Tagged for interest.
    What about EOs? How about a super majority? Any impact on the pace of Amendment change or elimination by these two?
    The pace perhaps but not forcing it to pass. Still has to go through all the steps. Although lately administrations seem to think that it does't matter what the law says.

Seems like most people here echo my opinion. It may indeed be legal but it would still be counter to the ideals of the constitution. And for sure it is an example of legal not equaling right.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Let me get this straight;
    We've got Federal, State and Local laws that aren't being enforced, but we think a Constitutional Amendment will fix everything and suddenly gun violence (which is already illegal unless in self defense) will suddenly go away.
    Volstead Act much?
    These people are deranged. Every time we have a mass shooting people come out of the woodwork claiming they knew it was going to happen, or that he had already been visited by Federal, State or Local LEO's numerous times and it didn't prevent anything bad from happening?
    The unintended consequences will surely be more violence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    We've got Federal, State and Local laws that aren't being enforced, but we think a Constitutional Amendment will fix everything and suddenly gun violence (which is already illegal unless in self defense) will suddenly go away.
    Volstead Act much?
    These people are deranged. Every time we have a mass shooting people come out of the woodwork claiming they knew it was going to happen, or that he had already been visited by Federal, State or Local LEO's numerous times and it didn't prevent anything bad from happening?
    Yet they don't see this, or choose to ignore it.

God forbid it ever happen, but it would probably leave them yearning for the days of an occasional mass shooting.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Yet they don't see this, or choose to ignore it.

God forbid it ever happen, but it would probably leave them yearning for the days of an occasional mass shooting.
    The more naive among the gun control crowd don't see it and actually believe they can solve violence by banning guns.

Most of those with money and power who are actually pushing for eventual civilian disarmament are smart enough to know differently

They understand the consequences and are power hungry enough not to care. If anything, these people would see the resulting violence as an opportunity to further expand their power while "coming to the rescue," in an attempt to solve a problem they created. More or less a win-win if all you care about is power.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 11-10-18 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Constitutional Amendments cannot take away inalienable rights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Constitutional Amendments cannot take away inalienable rights.
    I agree. The Constitution was never meant to be a popularity contest.

What is scary (granted, it took place nearly a century ago) is that alcohol was Constitutionally banned. Freaking alcohol! If something like that could happen, well...…

Yeah, I know it didn't work out that well but still.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post

We can't win at the ballot box and we can't go around shooting people. What process are we supposed to use to protect our rights when we are individuals by nature and out numbered?

MLK asked the same question. Follow his example.

Non-compliance comes well before war. Non-violent non-compliance fills prisons to overflowing. Non-violent non-compliance pricks the conscience of the majority to stop and reconsider.

The Black Communities of the 1950s has less to lose than gun owners today. So they were willing to take that risk and many paid dearly. Are we willing?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I agree. The Constitution was never meant to be a popularity contest.

What is scary (granted, it took place nearly a century ago) is that alcohol was Constitutionally banned. Freaking alcohol! If something like that could happen, well...…

Yeah, I know it didn't work out that well but still.
    The misguided and ineffective Volstead Act did nothing but create violence and boost the powers of organized crime. Now take the booze out of Volstead and inject firearms. The results will be tragic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Volstead Act much?
    Yes, one can never legistate criminal behavior (or mentally deranged behavior for that matter) into righteousness.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast