Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, this happened while shooting my newest rifle...five times during one magazine

Feedback Score

So, this happened while shooting my newest rifle...five times during one magazine

The gun:

1.jpg

It's a BCM 14.5" standard lightweight mid-length barrel, upper is a slick side from JSE Surplus.

The barrel extension has extended feed ramps, the upper does not.

Buffer tube, action spring and H buffer are all BCM, as well as the bolt carrier group.

Here's what happened:

2.jpg

The dents you see are from the lugs on the barrel extension, the rounds were jamming in the upper at an angle.

I should add that this rifle has functioned flawlessly when shooting XM855 and using Magpul/Colt/Okay magazines.

This time, I was using an HK magazine and was shooting Lake City ball ammo.

I should also add that this same magazine and ammo fed fine out of two other rifles on the same day, for some reason this rifle did not like this ammo/magazine combo.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Edit. What did BCM say? Call them first, but if you want to troubleshoot yourself:

Ive seen that from a bent extractor.
    Change the bolt, if fixed, put the old one back in but swap extractors with a different rifle. Or lat the extractor on a flat surface. I suspect a bad extractor spring could also cause this.

Could be mags. What I think is happening is that the round being fed is getting loose before or during the feeding process.
    In the case a saw, the extractor lost control of the case, it bumped the top round of the mag knocking it loose as the bolt was trying to feed it. The empty case then exited the port.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-09-18 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m16 View Post
    The gun:

1.jpg

It's a BCM 14.5" standard lightweight mid-length barrel, upper is a slick side from JSE Surplus.

The barrel extension has extended feed ramps, the upper does not.

Buffer tube, action spring and H buffer are all BCM, as well as the bolt carrier group.

Here's what happened:

2.jpg

The dents you see are from the lugs on the barrel extension, the rounds were jamming in the upper at an angle.

I should add that this rifle has functioned flawlessly when shooting XM855 and using Magpul/Colt/Okay magazines.

This time, I was using an HK magazine and was shooting Lake City ball ammo.

I should also add that this same magazine and ammo fed fine out of two other rifles on the same day, for some reason this rifle did not like this ammo/magazine combo.

Thoughts?
    Did you use the XM855 on same mag? Some mags just don’t work well with different ammo. For example, one ammo I used did well with standard mag but did not like Magpul or Lancer mags. The problem it seems stems from the feedramp... Something is happening there that may be hitting the bullet in the chamber once it is seated when bolt is racked forward. It could also be the way the bottom of the casing of the particular round that like city ball is using. It might be loose enough to cause a slight angle when bolt is going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    ...I suspect a bad extractor spring could also cause this.
    Yes. Yes, it does.

...the extractor lost control of the case, it bumped the top round of the mag knocking it loose as the bolt was trying to feed it. The empty case then exited the port.
    Typical of an extractor issue, resulting in the damage shown on the cartridge.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-09-18 at 11:42.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's likely the HK junk mag. Is it one of those problematic steel mags?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have not called BCM, figure they will tell me to kick rocks since it's a Frakengun.

The HK magazine is definitely steel and the follower is metal, not sure if it's one with a known issue but if it is I'm throwing it in the trash.

This did not happen when using PMAG's or aluminum USGI's.

As for the extractor being bent, not really sure how to check it since only the sides have level surfaces...

3.jpg

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Sample of one, but my HK steel mag is problematic. I would try any of the mags you mentioned and the ammo you had an issue with.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Sell the HK magazine. Take the 30 bucks and buy 3 Okay aluminum magazines. It's probably not contributing to the issue but I would feel better with the M4 ramp cuts in the receiver. It isn't difficult or expensive to do.

Feedback Score
    I didnt know HK mags had a rep, I thought they were all good.
    Absolutely could be a mag issue(mechanically). Mark the mag, keep shooting, track malfunctions, and if its always that mag, trash it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    HK rifle mags are great for propping my garage door open.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast