Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Releasing the slide after reload: slide release or slingshot?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Slide release always faster. P series CZ is blocked by the decockee so you hit as you drive the support had out and easy peasy.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

Instructors have beat the "gross motor skill" drum for years, but it isn't valid. The other stuff can be, but not for as many shooter, as many systems, or as often as we've proclaimed.
    Many still do. I always questioned if the slide release is such a difficult fine motor skill what is the trigger pull. I’m a slide release shooter but I teach shooters to do what works best for them. It is amazing watching people during simmunitions what they can and can’t do under the most minor stress. David

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    LIKE.

Man, it's almost like you teach this stuff or something.....
    I watched a youtube video.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Both. Either. Whatever works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    I’m a slide release shooter but I teach shooters to do what works best for them. It is amazing watching people during simmunitions what they can and can’t do under the most minor stress. David
    I'm a fan of shooter choice, with the caveat that it's an intelligent and informed choice. The problem with "do what works" is that many won't pressure test it. Almost everything works on a 72 degree indoor square range with a clean, lubricated, full size service gun. What happens when you apply your method to adverse weather, micro guns, mediocre ammunition, worn springs, etc. Now, add the gun-of-the-day guy that lacks consistency in anything.

Many still do. I always questioned if the slide release is such a difficult fine motor skill what is the trigger pull.
    It's like asking them to divide by zero. But a great way to identify actual thinkers, shooters, and teachers, rather than certificate holders.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Use whichever technique you can do proficiently and consistently under stress in all scenarios on which you train.

Master the other techniques in case a situation turns to mud and your preferred technique does not work due to injury, i.e. you suffer broken fingers, a gash on a hand, a wound inflicted to an arm, etc.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    The problem with "do what works" is that many won't pressure it. Almost everything works on a 72 degree indoor square range with a clean, lubricated, full size service gun. What happens when you apply your method to adverse weather, micro guns, mediocre ammunition, worn springs, etc. Now, add the gun-of-the-day guy that lacks consistency in anything.
    Good point. I guess I should qualify my statement. We stress using the slide release and push it really hard in our program. Our issue is at the basic academy it is all sling shot and they are not allowed to use the slide release. (gross motor skill thing) Even though we have pushed using the slide release for years as a HK agency, under any type of stress the officers revert to their beginning basic training and sling shot the slide. After years of watching multiple officers revert back in training I just remind them of the benefits of the slide release, shake my head and tell them do what works best for them.

I see the same thing with the AR weapons and officers pulling the charging handle with strong hand instead of hitting the bolt release on a emergency reload. We have never taught that in 16 years of our patrol rifle program, but all the former Marines still glue their support hand to the rifle and want to do everything with their strong hand. David

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't know of any person who can reach a non-extended slide release on a stock 1911 with their strong hand thumb. 1911s and some other pistols are best handled by releasing a slide lever with a support hand thumb, after you've seated a fresh mag with said support hand. Incidentally, this is also a technique that is probably the best compromise between speed and reliability. Dropping the slide stop with strong hand thumb is the fastest but it is very easy to drop the slide before seating the mag fully, especially when pushing for speed. More so with pistols with larger slide release levers, less so with smaller ones. You can't drop the slide too soon with overhand or sling shot, but those are slow and can get screwed up by short cycling or riding the slide. I've been in a strong hand thumb camp for years but I am considering to switch to a support hand thumb. I think it is more fool proof and more universal even if slightly slower.
    U-Vibe is 5'10" and has to hunt for XXL gloves.

Feedback Score
    This video was posted by Jon Lovell just a few weeks ago on the very subject:

-Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    This video was posted by Jon Lovell just a few weeks ago on the very subject:
    "Pick something, have a good reason, and shut up." Like.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I use the slide release. Our other instructors tend to preach overhand for the “gross motor skill” reason, which I’ve been trying to break. On the line I’m much faster than the others using the overhand method, works for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer slide stop, but...

...small arms instructors told us that using the slide stop will lead the part to breaking much sooner than it otherwise would.

Is this false? Please advise...
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast