Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Releasing the slide after reload: slide release or slingshot?

Feedback Score
    Economy of motion. Slide release is faster for right handed shooters or either-handed shooters if you have an ambidextrous gun.
    After thousands of reloads, I never had a slide release fail to feed, assuming the mag was seated - so "more positive" is pure theory IME.

The most efficient way to release the slide without using the slide release/lock is roll the weak-hand thumb over the slide in front of the ejection port (see Frank Proctor video).

That said, practice both. There have been times I botched a reload due to wet hands, or accidental, premature auto-forwarding, and you just roll into a slide rack.

Spend time with a dry gun, learn to run it a few different ways, including 1-handed.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-09-18 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    The top competition shooters all use the release. As one person posted, a timer will make it clear as to which method is faster.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    I use the slide release. Never had a problem and I shoot mostly 1911s, Beretta 92s and Glocks. It’s faster for me than the slingshot method.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Which is better? My hands are big enough to let my thumb release the slide release even on a stock 1911.

But I always use the slingshot method because I think it's more positive.

What do y'all do, and why?
    What do the pros recommend?
    First of all, I'm a lefty so I use over the top.

It has been my observation that most folks induce more movement into the pistol and hands than necessary when using the slingshot technique.

Overhand, back enough to disengage the slide catch and crisply release without sliding off the back of the slide is what I do.

Additionally, some pistols, such as Glocks and Sigs have slide catches, versus slide releases. Glock extended slide catches came into being due to American law enforcement's bias towards the slide releases found on the 1911, Hi-Power and Smith 39/59 series.

The standard for getting the pistol back into battery should be something that works every time, not most of the time. If you get used to auto-forwarding when you seat a mag, you will most likely look as if you are beating demons out of the pistol when it doesn't auto-forward - so I wouldn't train to expect the auto-forward.

Likewise, if you are occasionally missing the slide catch when using it as a slide release, I'd train to use the overhand method.

There is no absolutely right way, it should be dependent on what efficiently works for you - all the time.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    My hands are big enough to let my thumb release the slide release even on a stock 1911.

I don't know of any person who can reach a non-extended slide release on a stock 1911 with their strong hand thumb. 1911s and some other pistols are best handled by releasing a slide lever with a support hand thumb, after you've seated a fresh mag with said support hand. Incidentally, this is also a technique that is probably the best compromise between speed and reliability. Dropping the slide stop with strong hand thumb is the fastest but it is very easy to drop the slide before seating the mag fully, especially when pushing for speed. More so with pistols with larger slide release levers, less so with smaller ones. You can't drop the slide too soon with overhand or sling shot, but those are slow and can get screwed up by short cycling or riding the slide. I've been in a strong hand thumb camp for years but I am considering to switch to a support hand thumb. I think it is more fool proof and more universal even if slightly slower.
    Last edited by YVK; 11-10-18 at 03:09.

Feedback Score
    Slide release. So much faster.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Overhand: Universal technique, always works, ambidextrous, can add some extra force and slide travel for positive feeding, more hand->gun contact in case of wet/mud/blood. More movement involved and slower. Some shooters will sweep their hands past the muzzle.

Slingshot: As above, tends to work a little better for slide mounted safeties.

Lever actuated slide release: Little motion or grip reset, controls co-located, faster. Lever may or may not be usable by all shooters (size, length, L-hand shooters).

Instructors have beat the "gross motor skill" drum for years, but it isn't valid. The other stuff can be, but not for as many shooters, as many systems, or as often as we've proclaimed.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Overhand: Universal technique, always works, ambidextrous, can add some extra force and slide travel for positive feeding, more hand->gun contact in case of wet/mud/blood. More movement involved and slower. Some shooters will sweep their hands past the muzzle.

Slingshot: As above, tends to work a little better for slide mounted safeties.

Lever actuated slide release: Little motion or grip reset, controls co-located, faster. Lever may or may not be usable by all shooters (size, length, L-hand shooters).

Instructors have beat the "gross motor skill" drum for years, but it isn't valid. The other stuff can be, but not for as many shooters, as many systems, or as often as we've proclaimed.
    LIKE.

Man, it's almost like you teach this stuff or something.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I pretty much use the slide release. On a 1911 I sweep the slide release with my weak hand thumb. Not very difficult and quite repeatable. I don't think there is a single correct answer for every shooter or pistol, be adaptable.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-10-18 at 09:33.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Both. Either. Whatever works for you.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast