Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic list of spare parts to keep on hand

Feedback Score

Realistic list of spare parts to keep on hand

Given a M4gery, what spare parts, given normal wear and tear, should I keep on hand? I am thinking about operator level repairs/part replacement and parts that are likely to wear out and fail under normal (range) usage. So no armorer's work like barrel replacement or any thing that would require special tools. By way of example something like spare gas rings. I see a lot of lists but they seem to list parts that the average use would never replace and/or unlikely to break. So what I am asking is what is a realistic list.

Feedback Score
    I have a feeling many will say a spare bolt. Good idea. Or if you can swing it, even a complete spare BCG. You can load up on the small spare parts from Bravo Company for fairly cheap. gas rings, cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, sopmod bolt upgrade/rebuild kit. You don't need special tools for any of that. Just a punch or even a smaller size allen wrench to push the pin out for the extractor swap.

I would also add an action spring or two. For the basic milspec ones from Bravo Company they are around $5 a piece.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would keep gas rings, firing pin retaining pin, extractor w/spring, buffer spring.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I would keep gas rings, firing pin retaining pin, extractor w/spring, buffer spring.
    That and a bolt is pretty good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Hammer and trigger pins too.

Feedback Score
    But how often do hammers and trigger pins break? I can see loosing them if you disassemble the lower but how often do you need to do that even to clean it? In the Army the operator was never authorized to do that. I can see having replacement parts for field stripped items that you might drop and loose.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here is a comprehensive spare parts kit at a fair price.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...3-carrier.html
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    But how often do hammers and trigger pins break? I can see loosing them if you disassemble the lower but how often do you need to do that even to clean it? In the Army the operator was never authorized to do that. I can see having replacement parts for field stripped items that you might drop and loose.
    I’ve broke two over the years. When they shit the bed, your SOL unless you have a spare.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Springs-
    -Extractor spring
    -Hammer spring
    -Action spring

Because They Get Lost Or Damaged-
    -Take down pin retainer & spring
    -Selector switch retainer & spring
    -Buffer retainer & spring
    -Bolt cam pin

Parts & Assemblies-
    -Complete BCG
    -Muzzle device shims
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by praythenspray View Post
    I have a feeling many will say a spare bolt. Good idea. Or if you can swing it, even a complete spare BCG. You can load up on the small spare parts from Bravo Company for fairly cheap. gas rings, cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, sopmod bolt upgrade/rebuild kit. You don't need special tools for any of that. Just a punch or even a smaller size allen wrench to push the pin out for the extractor swap.

I would also add an action spring or two. For the basic milspec ones from Bravo Company they are around $5 a piece.
    Agreed. All of the small parts on the BCG, a bolt itself, and buffer/action spring. If the other parts are quality and you’re not screwing around with them, you likely wouldn’t need anything else.

ETA - small parts from an LPK would be a good idea too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-01-18 at 17:44.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast