Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Away from the 416?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Moving Away from the 416?

Not entirely sure where to put this, but this seems like the most appropriate place.

In the picture thread in the AR General Discussion forum, there was some discussion (limited, brief) about certain elite teams going away from the HK416.

Who doesn't bother me so much. So my questions are: What are they going to and why the change?

Apologies if this is not the appropriate place to post this.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The 416 is/was a contract item for certain organizations and that contract is getting ready to expire. I haven’t heard any updates on what the next platform will be or if there will be a contract extension or a new contract.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is not a surprise. It’s heavier, less accurate, and recoils more than the competition.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    This is not a surprise. It’s heavier, less accurate, and recoils more than the competition.
    Not really. It is heavier, more accurate and recoils differently, not more.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    It's on the internet, so it must be true...

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but the units that have them, use the hell out of them and they do what they are supposed to do exceptionally well.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 416 is a love/ hate system, and has been for a long time. In that same vein, HK has been a love/ hate system with an allure all its own. It isn't my place to make specific comment, but the replacement of the 416 by certain units is something that has been commented on to me by more than one individual.

I think it is important for people to remember that certain units acquiring systems are very, very needy, and I don't mean that in a bad way. If you are a premier assaulter, I would expect you to have premier equipment. ALL of the premier equipment, which means if pieces need to change, or be tailored for certain needs, I expect it to be done. That is going to create large demands at times for the manufacturer of the equipment as short notice things come up.

Lets use boots for an example. Do the laces stretch? Fix it. Do the laces not stretch? Fix it. Do the laces burn to easy? Fix it. Do the laces grab foreign debris? Fix it.... and on and on. Sure, this isn't the best of examples, but you can quickly see where end users can have varying wants and needs.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Are they going away or some units just getting some new toys? If a unit did a lot of water infiltration I could see them keeping them just for that purpose. Remember the pics of the SEAL arms room, when those guys get tasked with a mission they don't have just one weapon they have to use they get to pick and choose.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    For grins, I started testing some 416's like I would do on a precision rifle...Magneto/chrono, ammo tests, distance shoots, ballistic charts...the whole 9 yards. To say that the 416 is "less accurate" than its parallel DI counterpart is purely false. The oddball 20" upper I have on loan to test is putting up some incredible groups. The 14.5" was no slouch either in holding at least MOA out to 500y with a meager 4x scope and factory match ammo.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 11-10-18 at 14:03.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    What you heard is true. Many are moving to the new geissele upper/m4 lower combo or back to the mk18. This has been a slow migration for awhile now, but has sped up with the introduction of the new geissele upper.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    What you heard is true. Many are moving to the new geissele upper/m4 lower combo or back to the mk18. This has been a slow migration for awhile now, but has sped up with the introduction of the new geissele upper.
    What is their reasoning?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast