Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cattle mutilations

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    But the evidence not congruent with a bear attack by all accounts, but I can't claim expertise on the topic. He does say bow hunters tend to disappear with more regularity than those with guns, which also makes some sense if the cause some predator. It's astounding to me how many bow hunters don't at least have a side arm for backup, and or, how many hunters only have what their rifle can carry for ammo, etc.

While I understand why people hunt, I never understood hunters. Whole different mindset. Actually, would make an interesting thread onto itself.
    I don't understand why someone would intentionally hunt alone, unless it was just on their own back forty. (Unless it's strictly for sustenance, which will generally means doing it on your own back forty - where the back forty is more like forty-thousand and it isn't yours alone.)

But for me, hunting is as much a social thing as a practical/food thing - being in BF nowhere with friends and guns is always fun for me, whether it's coyote hunting, deer hunting, bird hunting, or just walking around plinking prairie dogs or gophers.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I don't understand why someone would intentionally hunt alone, unless it was just on their own back forty. (Unless it's strictly for sustenance, which will generally means doing it on your own back forty - where the back forty is more like forty-thousand and it isn't yours alone.)

But for me, hunting is as much a social thing as a practical/food thing - being in BF nowhere with friends and guns is always fun for me, whether it's coyote hunting, deer hunting, bird hunting, or just walking around plinking prairie dogs or gophers.
    I live in "BF nowhere" on 25,000 acres deeded plus a small BLM lease on the side. Hunting out here can be of necessity, not for just sport. The occasional Mountain Lion (Puma concolor) has been responsible for killing cattle here and other ranches in the area. They are also man killers as well, one in southwestern New Mexico a decade ago. I took one a few years back that was harassing the herd.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I get it. I used to take long hikes in NH alone with my side arm (as defense against two and four leg varmints) and would "shoot" photos of animals while doing it. I wore a bright orange hat in case their were hunters about. I saw bear tracks, etc. I just wanted to be alone in the deep woods. I can see the fun of doing it as a group as a social thing, or going alone to be alone. Most of my hunting pals seem to prefer hunting alone. Me, getting up in the dark to sit in a tree and freeze my ass off in the hopes a deer may come along is up there with getting a root canal and offers zero appeal to me. Hiking, camping, etc does, and may go hog hunting now that it's cooling off in FL and does not require getting up at 3am....
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't understand why someone would intentionally hunt alone.
    Because other people are generally super annoying and sometimes you just gotta get that shit out of your face for a day or two to clear your head.

(I don't hunt, but if I did, I would do it solo)

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    All my hunting buddies solo hunt. The only time we ever do a group hunt is if we’re hog hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Because other people are generally super annoying and sometimes you just gotta get that shit out of your face for a day or two to clear your head.

(I don't hunt, but if I did, I would do it solo)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    All my hunting buddies solo hunt. The only time we ever do a group hunt is if we’re hog hunting.
    I solo hunt, hike, patrol, fish, fart and just about anything else you can do in the outdoors (get your mind out of the gutter ). It helps me clear my head, think about things, sort out problems, etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    qwijibo
    Nice obscure Simpsons reference.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Some that's true no doubt, others, not so much. Life long hunters with mil background with no tracks but their own found, and nothing else. Some of them can't be explained by the usual suspects. Bodies found with no signs of violence, toddlers found miles from where there were, where grown men with experience have difficulty getting to. Etc, etc. Vid posted page or so back (#37), all hunters, all armed...
    Tracks aren’t always easy or very evident in the forest. Tracking animals isn’t always a “follow the path”, but more of a “search for the next marker”, so I can believe not seeing any sign for an animal attack (especially combined with weather). I’ve also been stalked by a mountain lion, and it was only by the grace of God that I saw it in time.

Bodies with no violence is also not surprising. Nature is harsh and often unpredictable. There is a reason for the “3 hours” without shelter maxim.

I’ve heard the toddle case. I’ve also seen kids do crazy stuff, and easily get to places I have difficulty reaching (especially in rocky areas). There is something to be said for being small and light. Based on the distance involved in the case, I’d probably wager on abduction, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he just walked.

We have “experienced” people in Utah that die in the wilderness frequently. There is a very high Dunning-Kruger effect among outdoorsmen in general. Hunters fall to this very easily. They have a gun and a sense of security that is very much false. Combine this with something else many, many hunters do but won’t admit to - drink - and you have a recipe for disaster.

The other thing that Paulides loves to tout is missing clothing. This one is easily explained by hypothermia. Most of the injuries in the Dyatlov Pass incident are explained by hypothermia, also.

I want to believe, but most of the time there is a far simpler explanation. For example Paulides claims that many people who go missing wear bright colors. That’s because, in general, most people wear bright colors, even when they go on the family hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I hunt alone, but can run into civilization within a day in any direction.
    I would not go out in the wilderness by myself.

^Does hypothermia really explain missing clothing?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I hunt alone, but can run into civilization within a day in any direction.
    I would not go out in the wilderness by myself.

^Does hypothermia really explain missing clothing?
    https://www.livescience.com/41730-hy...ndressing.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast