Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TA31 ACOG...

Feedback Score

TA31 ACOG...

Hi all,

First of all, Mods feel free to move me if this is the wrong forum. I just figured that these guys would probably have the most technical knowledge.

So sometimes I get bit by a curiosity bug and it causes me to research and research and dive deeper and deeper until i'm satisfied (thats what she said). The most recent case has developed as a result of me trying to pick what ammo to buy/test for my new platform (SR-15 with TA31 ACOG). I know its not a tack driving setup but why not pick the closest/best match possible, right? Which leads me to my problem:

Trijicon states that the BDC on the TA31 is calibrated using a 62 grain bullet @ 3050 FPS. I have not been able to find any other information. As you can see that leaves it kind of vague. Whats the BC? Fired at what elevation, temp, humidity, etc. Again, I know this is by NO MEANS a precision/long range optic. But again - why not utilize it as best as possible (without forcing myself to use 1 kind of ball ammo).

Now the question:

Does anyone know A) what bullet they used to calibrate this OR even better B) the drop distance of each BDC hash mark. Because thats all that really matters. If I could know that the "5" hash mark = 65" drop @ 500 yards thats all i'd need.

Anyways, I know its a long shot but figured id ask anyways.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RandomUser404; 11-09-18 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    That's exactly the reason I'll never own a scope with a BDC.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    Why? I just figured it out and learned something in the process. What I was describing are called the 'subtensions'. So from the 100 yard Chevron tip to the 600 BDC hash is a subtension of 19.2. Multiply this by 6 and you have a drop of 115". No matter what. That mark is 115" below my zero (@ 600 yards).

Now I can play around with BCs, velocity, elevation, temp, etc etc and find/create a round that matches. Turns out for my environment the Gold Dot 62 grain is a very very close match to all those subtensions and is also a terrific round. Now I can shoot from 100-800 with instantly and without touching a thing.
    Last edited by RandomUser404; 11-10-18 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    I thought I had read on Trijicon's website that it was calibrated using M855 out of a 14.5" barrel with distances marked in meters. I have one and it's mounted on a 14.5" SOCOM profile Colt barrel.

I think I still have data from that shoot somewhere (~5 years ago). I do remember it wasn't on at 200 & I compromised the 100 & 200 poi to get in the black at 300, 400 & 500. We were shooting AQT that day & I put most into the black.

I just used this same ACOG again last month on a military base (CAJMTC) shooting the computer controlled pop up Ivan targets. Range was 50 - 300 yards. We were told by .mil that we couldn't shoot using M855 for some reason. That's exactly what they were handing out to the troops shooting before us though. I left the M855 at home. I didn't have any load data using PPU 69 or 75 grain but that's what I shot. Ivans went down so I must have been hitting them. Unfortunately, the scoring computer took a crap and I didn't get a hit total.

So it did exactly what it was supposed to do even without a calibrated load. The TA31 allowed me to quickly range and hit unknown distance targets that popped up. The subtension widths match a "shoulder to shoulder" man sized target at the designated distances.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomUser404 View Post
    Why?
    Because it only works with that load. For any other load, you need a calculator.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Strelok free version may not have your reticle

http://www.borisov.mobi/

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    From a Trijicon CS rep last year when I inquired about my TA31F;

*subtensions are in MOA

Good morning and thank you for your inquiry, I have included the most popular ACOG and I have included subtensions to view. The TA31F-G was designed using a 16 inch barrel with 62 grain XM855 ammo getting about 2800 fps with a HOB of 2.83. I do not have the BC listed sorry.

*TA31F-G 62grain*

Tip Of Chevron is your 100 Meter marker.

Tip of chevron to 200 *cut out/underside of chevron point* = 2.0

T. O. C to 300 post = 4.4

T. O. C to 400 post = 7.8

T. O. C to 500 post = 12.6

T. O. C to 600 post = 18.7

T. O. C to 700 post = 26.4

T. O. C to 800 post = 35.8
    Last edited by TexasAggie2005; 11-11-18 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    What are those numbers? Mils?

Feedback Score
    I guess we don't have the same reticle. Mine's a TA31-ECOS.

Feedback Score
    Would you really use that reticle for a thousand yard (meter) shot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast