Thread: MAK 90 - Value?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

MAK 90 - Value?

Hey all, in another thread, someone mentioned picking up a nice used MAK 90 for $399.

I understand that’s pretty killer, but what would be a reasonable price for these? I ask, because a local Cabela’s has one for $520 with a magazine. The bore looked clean to me; I’m not an AK guy at all.

I’d pick it up if its a good deal. If it’s “meh,” I don’t need another rifle.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I sent you a PM with the link containing the thread that has the pics and receipt from that MAK90 deal.

I'm just now getting into chicom AKs, but that thread touches on the important points regarding MAK90s, like making them unneutered.

I'd love to find one that could deban for a reasonable price to make it a shooter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Around $700 unless it's been buggered with
    Check GB

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks guys, someone got a good deal the morning, looks like.

Feedback Score
    520 is actually a good price in todays AK market

do you know if its a strait cut receiver?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As bad as it feels to lose out on a good buy on a hard to find gun while trying to research it, it's truly invaluable for future reference. The chances you actually end up getting a great buy on MAK90 increase because of these experiences based on the last cpl. years of trying to fill holes on my bucket type firearm list.

I watch firearms that I think are a good buy.....if they sell fast I was right, if they are still on the rack or unsold in a week, I know I was wrong and need to reevaluate the market pricing. Do this one or twice with a particular firearm, and you quickly get up to speed on pricing.

You can never go wrong doing what you did, research first...buy second. There will be other great MAK90 buying opportunities, and next time you'll be ready to buy, and armed with more knowledge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trvsAR View Post
    520 is actually a good price in todays AK market

do you know if its a strait cut receiver?
    +1, a straight cut receiver is significantly more desirable because it makes the rifle pistolgripable if you decide to modify it from its stock configuration. Yes, I take credit for that new word I just made up.

Keep an eye out for Chinese NHM90's or NHM91's. They are more desirable than MAK90's, but are less well known and often sell for less. They are preban rifles caught in Bush 1's ban that had to be made in to postban configuration.

BTW, I paid $179 for my MAK-90 at a gun shop about 25 years ago. I went to a gun show the next weekend, saw them for $139 and was mad. I guess that I didn't do so bad after all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unmolested MAK-90s in my neck of the woods are going for $700-$900. There are people on Armslist asking $1000 and higher, but they are not moving at that price.

Second the advice from @Bret above regarding the NHM-90: I prefer them to the MAKs, as they are all straight-cut receivers and have threaded barrels under a tack-welded sleeve with functional device retainer pins.

Feedback Score
    Funny how back in the day, Chicom AK's were considered junk guns.... I had a buddy of mine who bought this one, a Type 56s, for about $450 before the ban kicked in. He fired about 60 rds through it, then tossed it into his safe. Many years later I finally succeeded in talking him out of it for 1K, which made us both happy....
    561.JPG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Funny how back in the day, Chicom AK's were considered junk guns....
    That happens quite often. Back in the early '80's the Valmet M62/S was near impossible for the importer to sell. People said they were not real AK's and the 7.62x39 ammunition was outrageously expensive. Now they're the holy grail of AK type rifles.