Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training For Quicker Mag Changes

Feedback Score
    Define your goal(to your self).

Additional pointers, break it down.
    Practice grabbing and pulling a mag from whatever retention you would actually use (I use a pocket, if this is for competition, use a mag holder)
    Once you get that down, pratice getting a full mag from belly height and inserting it.
    Then, insertion-mag release.
    Finally, tie it all together slowly.

Use a timer, start slow- like 4-5 seconds. Focus on moving slow and being smooth.
    Eliminate wasted motion.
    You body shouldnt move.

Once you get that, slowly work the time down.

In a week or so of daily practice, start pushing it. See how fast you can go, but keep in mind, speed is in efficiency.

Feedback Score
    Humans are creatures of habit. Reloads are a matter of habit.

Like coming to a four way stop-- you don't think "okay, now I take my foot off the gas, then I put it on the brake, wait, which one is the brake? Oh, okay. Foot on the brake, here we go."

If you think about it at all, you think "stop." Your body does the rest.

It is, therefore, critical to establish if not "correct" habits for reloads then at least good habits for reloads. Habits that, at a minimum, won't get you killed. (Like understanding whether you should be dropping mags in the dirt.) Habits that will get the weapon reloaded. How you release the mag. Where you keep your eyes. Which hand you use to grab the reload. Whether or not you believe in "indexing" the reload. How you rack a slide with one hand. How you reload with one hand. How you reload with either hand.

It's much easier to teach than it is to write. It is much easier to learn in person, from someone who knows how to teach. (Knowing how to reload is the easy part.)

Then you train. And train. And train.

Until you don't think about reloads anymore than you think about the brake pedal.

The best way to learn good habits is from an instructor, in a class.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jammer Six; 11-12-18 at 23:19. Reason: I can't spill.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    My suggestion is a class.

Reloads and reload drills, as well as wounded reload drills are part of a good defensive class.
    You seriously think one can't watch a couple of videos then setup some dry fire drills are home to learn and get good at reloading?

This isn't some mystical skill that one can only glean from "vetted" (love that word LOL) instructors

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    You seriously think one can't watch a couple of videos then setup some dry fire drills are home to learn and get good at reloading?

This isn't some mystical skill that one can only glean from "vetted" (love that word LOL) instructors
    This was 3 months ago, the OP has already gone on to other things.

I also think that the 'vetted' instructor thing is overdone. Most of the time you should be able to find a competent local guy to help you.

The right videos, sure, you can do it yourself, if you also plug in observed practice. You can do this by videoing yourself and comparing the tape you made to the tape you are watching.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    For dry mag change practice with my G-19 I slip a rubber O ring over the barrel with a small hose clamp to hold it in place. This is is to prevent the slide from slamming into battery on an empty chamber, I don't know if it is really necessary but it does cushion the shock of the slide going forward. I stand in front of a table with a blanket on it to catch the rejected mags. I start from a shooting stance with a simulated trigger press with the slide locked to the rear, drop the mag, insert the new one and drop the slide using the slide release or overhand sling shot. I do this once a week for about 30 minutes.
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 02-08-19 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    For dry mag change practice with my G-19 I slip a rubber O ring over the barrel with a small hose clamp to hold it in place. This is is to prevent the slide from slamming into battery on an empty chamber, I don't know if it is really necessary but it does cushion the shock of the slide going forward.
    You do realize that due to this thing called headspace the back of the cartridge case is not in contact with the slide when the case mouth is up against the chamber's shoulder, right?

Which means that empty or loaded chamber the slide slams into the barrel with equal force, meaning all that effort you go through to cushion things achieves nothing.

Feedback Score
    You do realize that due to this thing called headspace the back of the cartridge case is not in contact with the slide when the case mouth is up against the chamber's shoulder, right?

Which means that empty or loaded chamber the slide slams into the barrel with equal force, meaning all that effort you go through to cushion things achieves nothing.
    Stripping the cartridge slows the slide down. Does it matter, I dont know.

I use and recommend snap caps for various reasons so its a non-issue.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

Perhaps you do not visualize what I described. The slide remains about 5/16" from battery so no the slide does not slam into the barrel only into the rubber O ring which is positioned 5/16" behind the muzzle on the barrel.

I usually keep 2 pmags with snap caps in them. With a shot timer app on your phone you can practice both types of reloads. Get a baseline and go from there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Inserting the mag is the most time-consuming part of the reload, but its dependant on how you gab the mag.
    Use snap caps and start practicing 5mi s a day and youll see big results.
    Start slow, work on eliminating unnecessary motion, then start speeding up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast