Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WWI film They Shall Not Grow Old

Feedback Score

WWI film They Shall Not Grow Old

really looking forward to seeing this

not usually a fan of colorized stuff but this looks like it might be OK
    BUT the way they redid the speed and and stuff is amazing

nice to see he(Peter Jackson) did it for free to which is rare these days sadly

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45910189

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7905466/

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Looks amazing, gonna try to find a screening near me. My 14yo son is fascinated by WWI so this will be a good father-son thing.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/pe...ld-1202027263/

info on the bottom of this article and link to where its showing etc..

not sure the dates are going to work for me sadly going to try though
    Last edited by Honu; 12-15-18 at 04:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One way or another, you can stream it. It's pretty eerie to see the "stop motion" Buster Keaton style images give way to fluidity and color. It humanizes history beyond propaganda.

I have a love hate on We Were Soldiers. The book was great but the movie was and is off-putting to me. My first gripe was how everything looks like a big cartoon. It looks like a comic book or something. So vibrant. I had this picture of Platoon where everything was so grimy, dull, and grungy.

I was then corrected by a person, now since passed, who had seen the film when it first came out and was of that Early Vietnam War era. Vietnam did and does indeed have bright sunshiney days and the rifles were new. The OD fatigues were poplin and bright green. Nobody had subdued patches or name tapes. White T shirts were very much worn. And the soldiers at the beginning were not at all unlike the professional soldiers of today. Razor creases, starched everything, can do attitude. The BS attitudes didn't come until later.

So...I say that to say this. There's how things were and there's what people choose to see because of the limitations of the time.

With our technology, we should be documenting everything. Good, bad, and ugly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/pe...ld-1202027263/

info on the bottom of this article and link to where its showing etc..

not sure the dates are going to work for me sadly going to try though
    Thanks, I just ordered my tickets. I was surprised it being shown locally.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thought about posting this here last month but didn't think it would be received well. Anyway, it's worth seeing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    One way or another, you can stream it. It's pretty eerie to see the "stop motion" Buster Keaton style images give way to fluidity and color. It humanizes history beyond propaganda.

I have a love hate on We Were Soldiers. The book was great but the movie was and is off-putting to me. My first gripe was how everything looks like a big cartoon. It looks like a comic book or something. So vibrant. I had this picture of Platoon where everything was so grimy, dull, and grungy.

I was then corrected by a person, now since passed, who had seen the film when it first came out and was of that Early Vietnam War era. Vietnam did and does indeed have bright sunshiney days and the rifles were new. The OD fatigues were poplin and bright green. Nobody had subdued patches or name tapes. White T shirts were very much worn. And the soldiers at the beginning were not at all unlike the professional soldiers of today. Razor creases, starched everything, can do attitude. The BS attitudes didn't come until later.

So...I say that to say this. There's how things were and there's what people choose to see because of the limitations of the time.

They also left out the second, more costly part of the Ia Drang fight: LZ Albany. Of course that would have made it a 5 hour movie, so there's that.

EDIT: just looked at the preview on the link Honu posted. What they did is incredible! Kind of reminds me of the now-colorized Civil War pics, only with fluid (not jerky) motions the advent of motion pictures gave us over the Civil War by the time WWI had started.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 12-15-18 at 08:24.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

My Father flew Hueys in Vietnam, and he would agree with the bolded statement above.

And I agree, "They Shall Not Grow Old" and films like it are incredible tools for humanizing history and giving at least a small glimpse of what those who lived it actually experienced. Really powerful stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would LOVE to have had a 4 hour Gods and Generals style We Were Soldiers with LZ Albany. No wives or montages. Just hardcore, BHD style "we in the shit now" film of how protracted that battle really was. Everybody earned their stripes that day.

Per colorization and modernizing, I wish they'd do this with Birth of a Nation simply because in the battle scenes they used actual civil war surplus weapons and uniforms and used live ammo. Several veterans on both sides actually showed up as extras.

It is perhaps our only filmed glimpse into that war despite all the controversy surrounding it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    WWS the book and the movie were very hard for me to take as the strategic decisions represent the worst of VN era leadership... "We gotta get this war started... Drop those guys here (hits the map with a 1960s style chalkboard pointer)"

Never mind it was bad ground, with large, regular enemy forces close by, due to bad/no Intel.

I had friends sweating the draft. Gold star babysitters. Barely missed the draft myself. But with a son wearing green, and many more friend's kids doing the same, that's the hardest aspect. I expect brilliance by our generals. Or at least sound tactics and not incompetence. It's not like Dien Bien Phu had faded from memory.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast