Thread: Good Job Cabela's - Not

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Good Job Cabela's - Not

I have had a Cabela's Visa card for quite some time.

About the time they began issuing cards with chips I began getting hacked. I had/have nothing but good things to say about Cabela's fraud department - they caught things well before any charges made it to my statement. The downside is that I would be 6 to 10 days without my primary credit card -I generally don't carry checks or over 60 - 80 cash. This occurred 5 or 6 times after they issued the chipped cards.

The last time this occurred they reissued the cards with the same account number and just changed the CVC. We had those cards two days before they were hacked again.

This angered me a little bit and when I asked them WTF? They said they didn't know how that happened, but don't worry, we are sending you a new Capital-One Master Cards, will take about 10 days.

That was 6 weeks ago. Since that time we have called on three different occasions and each time were told that the 'cards were in the mail.'

The third time we called and said we hadn't received the card the guy said that every time we called and said the cards hadn't arrived they had cancelled the card numbers and issued new cards. This seemed a little strange, we hadn't received any cards, period, and it didn't seem likely that three batches had been intercepted.

Today, my wife called them and began climbing up knickers. Turns out, according to 'Will' the account supervisor, who my wife talked to after 'Madeline' didn't make her happy, that we had been fibbed to by those other folks because turnaround time on the cards in about 10 weeks and no cards had been sent out.

'Will' said this was due to the changeover of all Cabela's accounts from Visa to MasterCard and there was no provision to expedite our cards. When my wife asked to speak with 'Will's' supervisor she was told that the buck stops with 'Will' - 'Will's' supervisor doesn't take phone calls.

So good bye Cabela's. We paid everything possible with the Cabela's card, including mortgage, utilities, car payments, etc. to get the points, generally over $40,000 a year. Of course Cabela's was also getting the percentage that Visa forwarded to them off all those payments.

That ended today. I'm going to use my Cabella's bucks and sever ties with Cabella's.

Just a rant, surprisingly I feel better.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-13-18 at 15:46.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Dealing with credit issuers and their customer (dis)service departments are a pain, I feel yours. Those of us who have been hacked and have been taken care of properly and promptly by the card issuers are lucky that the system works. I wish you and your wife better service with your next creditor.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Unless I mistaken, 26 Inf was not dealing with the card issuer, who he said was Cap One. So it sounds like a Cabela's-branded card issued by Cap One, which puts Cabela's in the middle and mucks things up as he found out. Better off to have a cash back card directly with your issuer of choice. I have a direct-issued Cap One card and have had for many. many, years and their service is fast and great if there is a problem.
    Last edited by austinN4; 11-13-18 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    Cabela’s used to have their own bank and issue their own cards. That’s evidently no longer legally possible according to a friend of mine who works for Cabela’s in their consumer credit department. He’s told me that Capital One has been screwing shit up since day one of their business partnership and continues to drop the ball.

The fact Bass Pro has bought them out and doesn’t like how they do rewards points through the credit card will probably see that program curtailed as well. The Cabela’s side of the house particularly the consumer credit/lending are lobbying hard to keep things the way they are/were but it seems an uphill fight.

Feedback Score
    Get the BoA card and take their money. Been working well for me.
    They are liberal ****s anyways.

Feedback Score
    I HATE the Cabelas card! Not as a customer, however. As a former Cabelas employee. Everything was about that goddamn credit card. Entering into the store is like walking into a timeshare office: You're going to be immediately approached by a greeter with "Hi, are you a Club Card member yet?" If you say no, they'll start a hard sell, trying to overcome every objection you have. If you're still not interested, they'll try and direct you over to the card manager, who will then keep needling you till you break down and open up a line of credit with them.

Every employee is "encouraged" to push the card HARD, even though you get next to no incentive for signing up a customer (usually $1 added to your paycheck for every approval you referred). If an employee takes "No thanks, I'm not interested right now," as an answer without nagging the customer, you can guarantee that any manager who witnessed it is going to have words with you about it. Oh, and though we didn't technically have quotas...we actually did. If you were low in referrals, you would be "asked" to sit in and "assist" the card manager in training new employees about the card...Cabelas' way of passive-aggressively saying "apparently you didn't listen when we put you through the training the first time..." And yes, people did get fired over lack of referrals too. I might be less sympathetic if they told us straight up that we actually had quotas, and failure to reach them could lead to discipline up to and including termination. But they flat out denied this. But people who everyone knew were low in referrals would often get pulled in, told there were "lots of complaints" from co-workers and customers about their performance and "Oh, what are the complaints about? That's confidential. Needless to say, we're going to have to let you go..."

The card was nearly the death of them. It was the reason why they nearly went belly up and had to accept a buy out from Bass Pro.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I HATE the Cabelas card! Not as a customer, however. As a former Cabelas employee. Everything was about that goddamn credit card. Entering into the store is like walking into a timeshare office: You're going to be immediately approached by a greeter with "Hi, are you a Club Card member yet?" If you say no, they'll start a hard sell, trying to overcome every objection you have. If you're still not interested, they'll try and direct you over to the card manager, who will then keep needling you till you break down and open up a line of credit with them.

Every employee is "encouraged" to push the card HARD, even though you get next to no incentive for signing up a customer (usually $1 added to your paycheck for every approval you referred). If an employee takes "No thanks, I'm not interested right now," as an answer without nagging the customer, you can guarantee that any manager who witnessed it is going to have words with you about it. Oh, and though we didn't technically have quotas...we actually did. If you were low in referrals, you would be "asked" to sit in and "assist" the card manager in training new employees about the card...Cabelas' way of passive-aggressively saying "apparently you didn't listen when we put you through the training the first time..." And yes, people did get fired over lack of referrals too. I might be less sympathetic if they told us straight up that we actually had quotas, and failure to reach them could lead to discipline up to and including termination. But they flat out denied this. But people who everyone knew were low in referrals would often get pulled in, told there were "lots of complaints" from co-workers and customers about their performance and "Oh, what are the complaints about? That's confidential. Needless to say, we're going to have to let you go..."

The card was nearly the death of them. It was the reason why they nearly went belly up and had to accept a buy out from Bass Pro.
    This kills me. I got fed up and started just acting pissed off till I passed the "greeters" in the doorway. Businesses should stick with their wheelhouse - efficiency is so high these days it seems anyone who branches out goes down, or has to downsize to their core business.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Unless I mistaken, 26 Inf was not dealing with the card issuer, who he said was Cap One. So it sounds like a Cabela's-branded card issued by Cap One, which puts Cabela's in the middle and mucks things up as he found out. Better off to have a cash back card directly with your issuer of choice. I have a direct-issued Cap One card and have had for many. many, years and their service is fast and great if there is a problem.
    I don't really know, I've never gotten that runaround before with the Cabela's Visa folks, I was kind of figuring it was the BassPro influence.

Since we started getting hacked, we have relied more on our secondary card which is a Visa through our local bank. There haven't been any problems with it. I'm just going to get a second account through them for internet purchases and keep the credit limit low on that one.

Thanks everyone for the comments and info.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We use Citibank for all purchases. We get 1% when we buy and 1% when we pay off which we do each month. They never get a penny of interest from us and we've taken gobs and gobs of money from them over the years in terms of rewards & cashback. We love free stuff and dislike big banks. Win win IMHO.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)