Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap 1911 magazines are bogus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cheap 1911 magazines are bogus

A long time ago I bought several $5 Colt-type knockoffs at a gun show. They worked when I took them to the range and fired them. I fired many, many rounds with them. Then recently I was firing and weird things started happening. The lips on one mag were spreading and causing jams when the cartridge came up too high to be fed into the chamber. Then on another one, the base plate came off. The spring sprung out and was never seen again. The follower hit the ground. It was joined by four unfired rounds.

Moral of the story: Cheap 1911 mags are the source of many problems. Throw them away. I'm getting Wilsons.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 11-13-18 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “Life’s too short to eff with shit magazines”.

Sorta like glass- about always get what you pay for.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I just sold a dozen very similar mags to a guy in CA looking FOR range mags (which is what I was using them for!). Now the cheapest mags I have, are FACTORY mags (SA, Kimber)!

MecGar is as cheap an aftermarket 1911 mag as I'll run (and I have a few of them as range mags!) - CMC and Wilson are my carry/go-to mags now.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    CMP had some new in wrapper .gov contract 1911 mags that were $8 each (?) about 3 years ago - limit was ten and I bought that. Only used 5 but they have been fine for my range use.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=170471

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had some Shooting Star 8 rounders in early nineties, maybe even late eighties, not sure. After a long time fooling with them trying to get them to work, one day at the range in a fit a anger I tossed them all on the ground & stomped the ever lovin shit out of them. FELT GOOD MAN. Ill never own another one.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I got this tool from Brownell's over 30 years ago. It reshapes 1911 magazines. The bar goes into the magazine and the yoke goes on top of the tool and magazine. A few taps with a hammer and you've got a like new mag. Tapping the magazine walls while it rests on a bench block will true up the magazine. I've taken GI surplus and made them into competition magazines with this tool

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Uni-vibe, the OP has posted in the semi auto section about all the junk guns he's bought that wouldn't work.

Hopefully he's learning to buy quality over quantity.

All my 1911 magazines are Tripp, Wilson 500s or Chip McCormick and are used in Springfield, Les Baer and Wilson 1911s.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, it’s pretty funny to watch. I wouldn’t doubt if he’s running these mags in a Taurus 1911.

Feedback Score
    No shit cheap mags are junk. You get what you pay for. Shit in, shit out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 11-16-18 at 01:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yeah, it’s pretty funny to watch. I wouldn’t doubt if he’s running these mags in a Taurus 1911.
    Taurus makes a 1911? Yikes.

No, I have a series 80 Colt govt. Nice gun it is. Deserves Wilson mags that won't make it look like a B-17 dropping bombs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast