Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFA engraving ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    It needs to be on the serialized component, i.e. the lower receiver for the AR/M4 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. You see it on FN FAL and scars and other rifles where the barrel is permanently mounted to the frame / receiver of the weapon. There's a reason you don't see it on AR-15

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    It needs to be on the serialized component, i.e. the lower receiver for the AR/M4 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you read the links I posted?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Did you read the links I posted?
    Do you have any pictures of any AR-15s that have the manufacturer's information engraved on the barrel?

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [Quote] § 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
    (a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.[\Quote]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    Do you have any pictures of any AR-15s that have the manufacturer's information engraved on the barrel?

That’s what the OP is asking. If you F1 the SBR, you can put your trust info on the barrel. The lower is already marked with the S/N which you are allowed to use.
    If you F1 an 80% lower, then you, the individual (maker?) would have to engrave the S/N on the lower receiver.

Feedback Score

Do you any photos of any AR-15s that are currently on the market that have the manufacturer's information engraved on the barrel?

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Okay, if this forum cannot agree, I won't trust the NFA to agree, but everyone agrees that "the lower is legit".

Next question:

How will NFA laser engraving look on FDE/Titanium/ODG colored anodizing? Does it just cut to bare aluminum, or is it like the CAGE codes we see on ACOG's and stuff, and can they do colors other than white, or...?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

NFA engraving ?

Do you any photos of any AR-15s that are currently on the market that have the manufacturer's information engraved on the barrel?
    Edit: nevermind. No need to explain. It’s in the links and an interesting alternative to conventional assumptions.
    Last edited by fledge; 11-15-18 at 00:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Edit: nevermind. No need to explain. It’s in the links and an interesting alternative to conventional assumptions.
    I think the passage is being misinterpreted in this case and I pointed out where the misinterpretation was occurring. I may be wrong. But I don't think I am.

This is one reason we don't see any production ARs with mfg data on the upper receiver or the barrel.

You see it on bolt action rifles. You don't see it on ARs.

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I think the passage is being misinterpreted in this case and I pointed out where the misinterpretation was occurring. I may be wrong. But I don't think I am.

This is one reason we don't see any production ARs with mfg data on the upper receiver or the barrel.

You see it on bolt action rifles. You don't see it on ARs.

It is my opinion that you don't see it on the barrel from, manufacturers because if the barrel is removed, then the firearm is no-longer registered. However, with an SBR, if the barrel is removed...then it doesn't NEED to be registered or denoted as an SBR anymore, because it's not one. When the barrel is again placed on the firearm, BOOM! It's again denoted as an SBR. The barrel is married to that serialized lower, and only when that lower and that barrel are together, is it a properly manufactured and denoted SBR. It does marry that barrel/barrel length and configuration to that lower, is the downside. The upside is it keeps your lower 100% clean, if you wish to swap barrels and flip it or go to a non-NFA friendly area.

This is my understanding and interpretation, but you do this for a living, so I defer.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-15-18 at 00:43.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast