Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFA engraving ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    It is my opinion that you don't see it on the barrel from, manufacturers because if the barrel is removed, then the firearm is no-longer registered. However, with an SBR, if the barrel is removed...then it doesn't NEED to be registered or denoted as an SBR anymore, because it's not one. When the barrel is again placed on the firearm, BOOM! It's again denoted as an SBR. The barrel is married to that serialized lower, and only when that lower and that barrel are together, is it a properly manufactured and denoted SBR. It does marry that barrel/barrel length and configuration to that lower, is the downside. The upside is it keeps your lower 100% clean, if you wish to swap barrels and flip it or go to a non-NFA friendly area.

This is my understanding and interpretation, but you do this for a living, so I defer.
    They don't do it on factory SBRs.

I could be wrong. I don't think I am.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    It . . . .
    "This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed."

REMOVED. The form 1 identifies the manufacturer of the firearm.

That info must be engraved on the firearm.

"This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed."

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post

REMOVED. The form 1 identifies the manufacturer of the firearm.

That info must be engraved on the firearm.

The lower isn't the SBR, though, as evidenced by being able to put a 16" upper on it and rock on. The SBR is a conglomerate of the barrel AND the receiver. Likewise, the barrel itself is not an SBR, just as a lower sitting on the shelf, or with a 16" barrel is not an SBR. Thus they mean the marking must not be removable easily from the SBR, which means you cannot put it on a handguard or trigger guard (unless integral), because you could still have that barrel on that lower, sans markings, 100% functional.

Manufacturers put it on the lower because it's easier, and because it allows the purchaser to swap uppers to other SBR lengths at will, especially if there is a warranty issue with the upper, etc., and it's a non-issue because factory markings don't degrade value, so there is zero push for them to put it on the barrel.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-15-18 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    The lower isn't the SBR, though, as evidenced by being able to put a 16" upper on it and rock on. The SBR is a conglomerate of the barrel AND the receiver. Likewise, the barrel itself is not an SBR, just as a lower sitting on the shelf, or with a 16" barrel is not an SBR. Thus they mean the marking must not be removable easily from the SBR, which means you cannot put it on a handguard or trigger guard (unless integral), because you could still have that barrel on that lower, sans markings, 100% functional.

Manufacturers put it on the lower because it's easier, and because it allows the purchaser to swap uppers to other SBR lengths at will, especially if there is a warranty issue with the upper, etc., and it's a non-issue because factory markings don't degrade value, so there is zero push for them to put it on the barrel.
    If that was a correct interpretation one could register the RONI Glock chassis as the SBR and stick any Glock you wanted into it.

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If that was a correct interpretation one could register the RONI Glock chassis as the SBR and stick any Glock you wanted into it.

I am not familiar with that, but I presume it invalidates my argument for engraving the barrel. Like I said, your forte, not mine, I'm just trying to better understand it.

That said...how does FDE ano, Ti ano, and ODG color ano take NFA laser engraving? What would it look like? Will I need to have the lower cerakoted so it doesn't look like shit?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They don't do it on factory SBRs.

I could be wrong. I don't think I am.

They don’t do it on factory SBRs because all the required info is already on the lower, same as a non NFA lower.

When an individual “makes” an SBR, we then have to add our info (name, city, state) and that is allowed to be on the barrel.

If the firearm already contains a SN, the individual is allowed to use that one instead of creating their own.

It’s all there in the linked info.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You most certainly can engrave your information on the barrel. This is an established fact. A SBR does not have a register d part like a MG. An sbr only exists as an sbr when configured in such a way that it meets th definition of an sbr.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    You most certainly can engrave your information on the barrel. This is an established fact. A SBR does not have a register d part like a MG. An sbr only exists as an sbr when configured in such a way that it meets th definition of an sbr.
    So everyone has been engraving their barrels on ARs ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post

It’s an option. I would suspect the majority engraved the lower, but there’s definitely some that have engraved the barrel.

What “everyone” does is a moot point. It’s what’s legal that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post

No, it's fairly uncommon, but you can do it if you want to preserve your lower receiver in the event you want to sell it down the road, and don't want your name/trust/corp engraved on it. Obviously you'd need to change the barrel or upper and notify the ATF it's no longer an SBR before doing this.

Edit: Anytime arguments pop up like this thread, everyone should always remember you can call or email the NFA branch of the ATF. They are very responsive and generally knowledgeable, especially about more common stuff like suppressors and SBRs. It's hard to filter the BS on forums, so go to the source and you won't have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by Slippers; 11-15-18 at 07:37.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast