Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: NFA engraving ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I've never heard "conspicuous".
    That word comes directly from the regulation itself.

CFR › Title 27 › Chapter II › Subchapter B › Part 479 › Subpart G › Section 479.102
    27 CFR 479.102 - How must firearms be identified?
    eCFR
    Authorities (U.S. Code)
    Rulemaking

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
    (a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(The rest was already posted, I think...name, location, caliber, model, etc)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Critical Thinking Time: No. Barrels are not firearms.

TANSTAAFL. If you engrave the AR barrel instead of the lower, it stands to reason that any short barreled upper to be used on the registered lower needs to be engraved.
    Are you saying to register one lower receiver (for an AR), and then engrave the barrel of each upper one wants to use on the registered lower?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    No. The $200 is paid once and associated with the serial number.
    So one can register an AR lower, engrave a barrel/upper, leave the engraved barrel/upper in the safe at home, and venture out with an unmarked barrel/upper?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    So one can register an AR lower, engrave a barrel/upper, leave the engraved barrel/upper in the safe at home, and venture out with an unmarked barrel/upper?
    As long as it's over 16" yes

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    There's definitely a gray area that's not specifically addressed in general regulations.

If the barrel is 16" or more, it's a non-issue. Some will tell you the marking requirements are for the initial making of the NFA firearm, and if you swap uppers the regs don't apply.

I don't fall into that camp. I'm of the opinion that the firearm should be properly marked anytime it's in an NFA configuration. For me personally, it's a non-issue because I build dedicated SBRs and have never swapped an upper other than to put one of mine on somebody else's FA lower. For that reason, I have a couple that have some of the markings on barrels...mainly caliber. But I wouldn't hesitate to put maker's' name and/or location on an AR upper or SBS barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's definitely a gray area that's not specifically addressed in general regulations.
    It is addressed. Removing the markings on a title II firearm is a illegal.

26 U.S. Code § 5861 - Prohibited acts
    It shall be unlawful for any person—
    (g) to obliterate, remove, change, or alter the serial number or other identification of a firearm required by this chapter; or
    (h) to receive or possess a firearm having the serial number or other identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered;

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post

(g) to obliterate, remove, change, or alter the serial number or other identification of a firearm required by this chapter; or
    (h) to receive or possess a firearm having the serial number or other identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered;
    And then there's this

"This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed."

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score

Well maybe I'm remembering it wrong...but I thought you were one of the ones that said it only pertained to the original manufacturer. I know you've mentioned that about covering up markings after the fact.

Maybe removing vs covering up is the issue.

(But I do know there are people that will tell you only the original has to be marked, which I don't believe is correct)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well maybe I'm remembering it wrong...but I thought you were one of the ones that said it only pertained to the original manufacturer. I know you've mentioned that about covering up markings after the fact.

You can remove all but SN on Title I, hence how a HK-94 can he remarked MP5. But on Title II, nothing can be removed.

Feedback Score
    You can remove all but SN on Title I, hence how a HK-94 can he remarked MP5. But on Title II, nothing can be removed.
    That's interesting. Didn't know that.

Any authority for that?

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast