Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started (Philadelphia, PA area) Question...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Getting Started (Philadelphia, PA area) Question...

Hello group! I'm currently in Va but will be locating to the Philadelphia, PA area. I was wondering if there are any facilities in that area that offer competitive shooting practice facilities and also matches I can find?

I never really looked into getting into competitive shooting/competitions so any information regarding how to get started and more importantly places in/around the Philadelphia area would be great!

Thanks in advance!
    Professionalism, it goes a long way.

Feedback Score
    What kind? There is uspsa and 3gun.
    A place called Ontelaunee has longer range stuff available as well.
    What city are you actually moving to? Theres a few members here in that area.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What kind? There is uspsa and 3gun.
    A place called Ontelaunee has longer range stuff available as well.
    What city are you actually moving to? Theres a few members here in that area.
    Probably both, would like to try each out if there is a facility that allows you to practice, so that I get an idea of how I'd feel about it. I have the gear to do either or.

I'm moving towards the outskirts of Philly. My wife wants to stay in the Delaware County area (that's where her family lives), but I'm trying to move further out, maybe Montegomery County (around K.O.P) or Chester County. I have a feeling though that we'll end up being in the Broomall or Newtown Square area.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Done!

How do people generally get started? Do they just jump right into competitions without going somewhere that has similar setups so that you can run through courses that would give you an idea of how things go?

Personally, I would like to go somewhere that offers ranges with setups that you would find during competitions for people who don't compete, so that I could get myself familiarized with the notions and what not. I'm pretty versed with gun range safety and muzzle awareness, but that's at a range where everything is straight and down range. There isn't much running and gunning along with the stress of making a good shot placement while time is ticking when I'm going to the range. If that makes any sense!

By the way. Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wish I could help but im in the northern suburbs, Bucks Co. If you end up in MontCo on the side of

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 11-16-18 at 11:08.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If we end up in Delco I hope it’s the outskirts. I’m not a fan of crowded neighborhoods, which is all I see whem I’m in town visiting with the in-laws. Anyhow, seems like Reading has a good facility, which is a little over an hour away from whwre we might be. Just gotta call them up and see what they offer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well if you don't mind driving there's guardian training center in Warminster

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Its a hike, but Easton Fish and Game has (at least had) a first time competitor course to get you familiar with the range rules and commands and general workings of a competition. Things are winding down this year, but will kick back up in the spring.

They also do a "steel shoot" once a month which is similar to a match setup. There are no scores and its a fun, laid back setting, but doing and getting used to something like that will make a first uspsa more comfortable.

Dont expect to be smooth your first time. Be calm, but being safe is #1 &2. You will make friends and people will show you the way if you are SAFE and eager to learn. Take your time and get good hits at first, missing leads to more frustration, which leads to loss of concentration, and can lead to safety violations, at least in my experience.

Go slow, take your time and get hits, listen to range commands, and have fun.
    If you get DQd, acknowledge that you know what you did wrong and dont take it too personal, happens to a lot of us (myself included).

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks man! That’s good info and I’ll definitely take heed to any instructions given. I know it’s a bit late in the year, but wanted to get my ducks in the row prior to the big move. Again, thanks for the info, can’t wait to get started and start using my stuff for things other than a typical gun range visit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast