Thread: Would Like To Relocate To North Dakota

Feedback Score

Would Like To Relocate To North Dakota

Hey all,

Thanks for having me. As my handle suggests, I live somewhere in Illinois and am up to here with all the corruption and the disappointing elections. Rather than spend several paragraphs complaining, I rather get some handy intel on North Dakota from people that live or lived here. I'm leaning towards the town of Williston.

* I know the winters are seriously brutal, any advice on handling the cold's effect on your car? I've heard of stories of people dying in the nasty snowstorms from being stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    * Is it fairly easy to get a job here? How about an apartment? I know about oil fields work and am not into it.
    * Are the people generally conservative/libertarian? Last thing I want is dealing with stupid "enlightened" liberals. This might be one of the few states left in America that is safe from the liberal agenda. I'm frankly worried about post Trump 2024.
    * Any other pointers on relocating into North Dakota?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Keep going west, Idaho is much nicer and more job diversity. Prettier too!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Keep going west, Idaho is much nicer and more job diversity. Prettier too!

Thank you for the kind response, I appreciate it!

I've browsed around the Idaho section and see that you made a thread about it. So is it fairly easy to get an apartment in eastern Idaho? About how much? What kind of jobs do they have in Idaho? There's no high paying non-college jobs where I live unfortunately.

Trust me, I'll do research and eventually fly out somewhere to double check my work. I just have lots of information on North Dakota but am willing to pursue any other state as long as it's suitable for me.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Housing is quite reasonable here imo. I got an 1800 sq ft 3 bedroom with a full garage for $1100 last year. We have since moved into a new house we were able to build.
    Lots of jobs here and more coming. The fbi is finishing a data center here that will employ over 300.
    Lots of construction work, manufacturing, Idaho state university, retail, etc. We have a major new development in progress that will bring new medical facilities too. Idaho national laboratory has nuclear science...
    Stuart in Pocatello, ID

"It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Housing is quite reasonable here imo. I got an 1800 sq ft 3 bedroom with a full garage for $1100 last year. We have since moved into a new house we were able to build.
    Lots of jobs here and more coming. The fbi is finishing a data center here that will employ over 300.
    Lots of construction work, manufacturing, Idaho state university, retail, etc. We have a major new development in progress that will bring new medical facilities too. Idaho national laboratory has nuclear science...
    Stuart in Pocatello, ID

Thank you once again! Like I said, I'll be doing some more homework. Hopefully I'll be out of Illinois in Spring of 2020, winter of 2020 at the latest.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Coldest area I’ve ever been to. Spent some time at Minot, a few hours due east of Williston.
    Colder and more wind than my travels to Alaska.

I’m in Illinois, but down near St Louis......leaving Illinois in January
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 11-16-18 at 06:52.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you could be a little more pointed in your questions, I can give you an answer that would be a bit more detailed. I work not far from williston. That whole region is heavy oilfield tho. Sunrise it neat to look at with all the gas being burned off on the pads tho.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why Williston? The eastern side of the state from Grand Forks and Fargo down to the South Dakota border has plenty of good paying jobs outside of the oil fields and energy field and very reasonable housing. The company I am with now can't even find enough help to replace the employees that retire.
    The state is overall pretty conservative and I don't often run into "enlightened ones".
    The cold here is overrated. My wife is from the Philippines and she acclimated in no time. Dress for success and go prepared. Stranded in the middle of nowhere is hard out here with all of the farm houses scattered about and people willing to go out of their way to help. I don't remember the last time I heard about someone who succumbed to exposure. Newer cars do just fine in the weather here.
    Last edited by Rifleman_04; 12-08-18 at 22:22.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920