Thread: Laser Tag - If you can't get to a shoot house

Feedback Score

Laser Tag - If you can't get to a shoot house

Okay, okay, please bear with me after you stop laughing and scoffing at the idea. There can be some benefits to this cheap alternative. If you are military or a sworn officer with access to real professional training, this thread is probably not for you. Obviously, there are limits and a real shoot house will be superior.

If you haven't been in a commercial laser tag environment, it can be described as a chaotic three dimensional experience requiring constant 360 degree awareness, use of cover (same as concealment in a LT environment), and movement skills. In addition, those kids, who burn through their parent's credit cards, are often regulars with some impressive skills. Among those are:
    1. They will often seek the high ground. Think rooftops, balconies, and other elevated position. You need to be aware of what is above you, as well as your own level.
    2. If you don't keep moving, they will locate and surround you very quickly.
    3. Don't linger in front of a window cutout, or you will die quickly.
    4. Don't forget to pie the corners, or you will die quickly.
    5. Friend or foe, don't shoot your own team members.
    6. There is no resting in a LT session. The kids are energetic and relentless.

It's fun, and a way to bond with the kids. If you see downsides, that's okay, LT could promote some bad habits, but maybe not. The purpose of this thread is to stimulate thought and discussion. Please base your comments on experience.

Feedback Score
    I don't have any personal experience with laser tag, but I'm not going to let that stop me from commenting haha. I don't see this as a bad thing at all. At the end of the day, it's a game and kids know the difference between games and reality of guns. I say go for it, by all means.
    I'm sure everyone loves Privacy Pursuits for many reasons.

Feedback Score
    It definitely promotes the habit of being aware of your surroundings. Even without being taught, the successful kids know the value of working in teams. The good ones move in groups of about 3-5. One watches ahead and the others watch six and above. Trying to clear an area by yourself is just foolish if you can avoid it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    A buddy and coworker of mine just opened his own business, gunshop/virtual shooting range and simunition 1vs1 playground. He was a self proclaimed good shot before he started the business and I can say that he has shown much improvement when we qualify. I worked his shop for him a few days because he works a full time job with me at the department and was then putting in late nights at his shop. I played on the shooting range with his real recoiling glocks and took my s&W snubby to get some trigger time and break in as it was new. The programs have CCW style scenarios along with bianchi style shooting matches and video game/arcade style shooting. It works pretty good for people just starting out and the recoil adds to the realism without the noise and cost of ammo. He also bought a nearby warehouse to run simunition battles and force on force training. His plan is to try and run leagues during the winter when people don't get to the range as much for competitions. His system is better than our old academy one where it responds to your shots and adjusts the scenario accordingly, but not as nice as our 120 degree new FATS machine.

Feedback Score
    Wow, what a sweet setup! Good luck to him.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    He seems to be gaining business and the technology for virtual ranges is getting cheaper and better. You can add shock vests to improve the stress factor. Our guys invited our judges to try the academy FATS machine and offered up the shock belt for more realism. If you don't get the shooter fast enough you get a shock. They liked it and opened their eyes to the real stress of a constant changing environment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    A buddy and coworker of mine just opened his own business, gunshop/virtual shooting range and simunition 1vs1 playground. He was a self proclaimed good shot before he started the business and I can say that he has shown much improvement when we qualify. I worked his shop for him a few days because he works a full time job with me at the department and was then putting in late nights at his shop. I played on the shooting range with his real recoiling glocks and took my s&W snubby to get some trigger time and break in as it was new. The programs have CCW style scenarios along with bianchi style shooting matches and video game/arcade style shooting. It works pretty good for people just starting out and the recoil adds to the realism without the noise and cost of ammo. He also bought a nearby warehouse to run simunition battles and force on force training. His plan is to try and run leagues during the winter when people don't get to the range as much for competitions. His system is better than our old academy one where it responds to your shots and adjusts the scenario accordingly, but not as nice as our 120 degree new FATS machine.
    Wow, where is his shop? Got a link?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    https://www.derangedmo.com

In festus missouri about 20 mins south of st louis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    https://www.derangedmo.com

In festus missouri about 20 mins south of st louis
    I have to check it out. I’m only 20 minutes away, near Arnold.