Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea for gun safety -- magazine followers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Brass can be tarnished, dull, corroded, and some use steel cases which can blend almost perfectly. A high visibility follower adds a layer of instant visual recognition that ammunition isn't in a particular part of the gun. Most useful in groups of people/institutional use and low light.

This. Even easier to see in a pump shotgun, if the follower is bright orange.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    This. Even easier to see in a pump shotgun, if the follower is bright orange.
    A high vis follower is definitely a big plus in any tube fed shotgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi viz green:

https://sjhardware.us/product/2-follower/

Really can't say I ever notice it in use, but doesn't cause any issues so all is good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ll agree... not really going to help a lot with safety.

Don’t think any of my current magazines have red/orange followers. My 11-87 and 870 Police did... swapped in stainless after the polymer follower got stuck in cold weather (my 11-87, while hunting). I’m not more dangerous because of that.

To me, you can’t make someone safer by product features/improvements. Knowledge, whether actual training, practice, or even taking the time and reading the manual... is how someone increases their safe handling of firearms.

I see that as saying those orange chamber flags increase safety. I disagree with that... treating the gun as if it was loaded does a lot better job across the board.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't. It's a marketing gimmick.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Don’t think any of my current magazines have red/orange followers. My 11-87 and 870 Police did... swapped in stainless after the polymer follower got stuck in cold weather (my 11-87, while hunting). I’m not more dangerous because of that.

To me, you can’t make someone safer by product features/improvements. Knowledge, whether actual training, practice, or even taking the time and reading the manual... is how someone increases their safe handling of firearms.

I see that as saying those orange chamber flags increase safety. I disagree with that... treating the gun as if it was loaded does a lot better job across the board.
    I do not know how much experience you have in attending or running courses, or in competition, but chamber flags indicate that a weapon's chamber is empty and clear, and if the magazine well is empty, a line officer, or other shooter can see that the weapon is clear. In those circumstances I'm more worried about other shooters than I am myself.

When I run rifle or shotgun courses all weapons are cleared off the line because participants put their weapons in racks while they hydrate, reload, etc. Using chamber flags makes it safer and easier to manage.

As the prices of the Safe Cycle and Rapid Rack chamber devices have dropped, I'm surprised more patrol rifle instructors haven't worked them into their programs for operational use.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It's a good idea, and it would cost roughly nothing if manufactured that way in the first place.

Not a magic fix but it makes it easier to recognize an empty mag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I do not know how much experience you have in attending or running courses, or in competition, but chamber flags indicate that a weapon's chamber is empty and clear, and if the magazine well is empty, a line officer, or other shooter can see that the weapon is clear. In those circumstances I'm more worried about other shooters than I am myself.
    Roger that... and never insinuated anything specifically regarding that.

I compared them to colored magazine followers, in regards to effecting an INDIVIDUAL’s safe handling practice. Product trying to solve a software issue, if it is a little clearer. If people know that a gun is unloaded by a chamber flag... does that translate into safe gun practices passed that? I don’t think it does anything other than show others a gun is clear, as you stated.

Sorry if you misunderstood my post. However, I believe dealing with 10+ shooters is a little different than what was being discussed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Brass can be tarnished, dull, corroded, and some use steel cases which can blend almost perfectly. A high visibility follower adds a layer of instant visual recognition that ammunition isn't in a particular part of the gun. Most useful in groups of people/institutional use and low light.
    You’re definitely not wrong, as long as the operator understands that means the magazine is empty and not the gun as you said.
    I have a 10/22 with a match barrel that will at times leave a round in the chamber because the chamber is tighter than the extractor can pull.
    I also witnessed the same thing with a TA-90 (CZ-75 copy) where the magazine was removed, the slide was pulled back and locked back but the round remained in the chamber. Very rare of course and the other firearm safety rules will CYA in these scenarios but if Jim Bob sees orange and doesn’t even glance at the chamber it becomes a liability.
    Last edited by Hadoken; 11-21-18 at 14:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Your statement above is spot on. To many range officer, Saftey officers, and instructors, use a chamber flag as a way to be lazy, and a REPLACEMENT for the 4 firearms saftey rules. (If they don't know them or choose not to follow them thats another topic) Chamber flags are a great and well thought suppliment for saftey.
    I beileve there is a need for them, where people are coming to classes and matches that dont know about true firearm saftey.

As an example: No inteligent person wants a gun pointed at them chamber flag or no.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast