Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UTG/Leapers M-LOK Bipod

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Yes, please...

Agreed. I honestly don't yet have any experience with M-LOK — I'm shopping for "precision" uppers and thinking of a new/better bipod than my old Harris.

M-LOK doesn't look thaaaat substantial, but I figure if Magpul trusts one M-LOK attachment point at 6 o'clock to mount a bipod, then using one each at 3 and 9 o'clock should be OK.

And I don't even know what a 3-point landing is, but it sounds bad. If it happens, then the $50 bipod will be the least of my concerns.
    3- point landing... You are breaking your fall into position with the rifle... Bipod legs are 2 and your belly makes 3.

Feedback Score
    How does this happen? The OP points out an ingenious design. This is something new. He is not selling anything. A huge fight breaks out and someone ends up getting banned. Nobody said this design is going to work for combat or that you could use it to break your fall, or that it is adjustable or would replace Harris bipods or any other brand. He just said this is a new, different design. It will probably work just fine on a bench shooting range to zero a rifle. Maybe someone, some maker you trust, will take this design and better it, making it as strong as you want it to be. The OP just pointed this out as something new. We do want to hear new ideas, don't we?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Can we go back to the subject now?? I think the biggest weakness of KM and M-LOC are accessories that project a distance from the rail stressing the relatively small fasteners and dogs that secure the. accessory. Vertical grips come to mind.
    I'm not sure how much this is actually a concern. In the Crane testing MLOK had a failure load rate of over 1100 pounds in all the rails tested. According to Crane the failures were all with the mounts, not the rails.

ETA: the Keymods failed at 338 to 462 pounds, but those were all failures of the rails, fractures between the two KeyMod Slots used. According to Crane there was no major damage to the KeyMod fasteners.

So, while you certainly wouldn't want to slack rappel with either KeyMod or MLOK, I'd think a bipod attached by MLOK would be GTG.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-18-18 at 20:20.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'll be happy to answer that.

The OP (Bimmer) did point out a new piece of gear. Personally, as a gear nerd, I think that's a good thing. I do like the design, I was pointing out that it's not a brand new idea, but UTG's "interpretation" of the Vltor design.

UTG does a lot of that - take other people's creations and produce them in a Chinese factory to different quality standards. I am unfamiliar with a single item they make that is truly new.

The person that got banned violated forum policy. That's why they received an infraction. The topic is basically irrelevant for that person.

There are plenty of people I disagree with. Some of them posted in this thread. Yet they are mature, responsible people who are capable of discussing the merits of a tactic or piece of equipment. While I do not agree with their opinion, they are genuinely good folks that I'd love to have over to Rancho Serious for a cigar and a glass of great Bourbon.

That's called a discussion. Mykdee liked to get in pissing contests. He's always going to lose those here.

M4C has 80,000 members and thousands more visitors. Periodically, there are people who prove they detract more than they add. They get removed, so they do not drive away more productive members.

Guess how many reported posts I get, and guess how many PM's I get about people who are troublesome? A lot.

I hope that provides some insight. But as my succinct reply to our former member stated - if you are a rude appendage, be prepared to post elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm not sure how much this is actually a concern. In the Crane testing MLOK had a failure load rate of over 1100 pounds in all the rails tested.
    Agreed. I have not conducted any kind of engineering study, I would think that incorrect installation frequently plays a role in the "failure" of any kind of gear.

And if something hits your rifle with 1,100 pounds of force, you're probably talking about a helo crash or an IED? I am guessing a properly-executed PLF wouldn't do that, right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And if something hits your rifle with 1,100 pounds of force, you're probably talking about a helo crash or an IED? I am guessing a properly-executed PLF wouldn't do that, right?
    I don't think I've ever done a proper PLF. All my military jumps were before 1991, so I've never jumped anything put bare-boned M16's and rucks. I would have been a good test bed, though, because I landed like a sack of spuds.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I'm tempted to try this UTG side mount bipod on a budget build. While I've seen some junky UTG/Leapers stuff, I've also had good luck with the UTG Pro rails & risers, and I've got an Anderson pistol upper that came with a nice UTG Pro super slim drop in railed handguard.

I have a Harris Bipod with the Larue QD mount and just mount pic rails on most of my ARs. Like someone else posted, I've never had to unlock it so the swivel feature isn't a deal breaker for me. My first build was a Rock River Arms upper that had the VLTOR side mount bipod and I wish I'd pulled that when I sold the upper.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have had fairly good luck finding used Harris bipods, when folks decide to splurge on a different one. I think I found on here on the EE for about 60 bucks shipped?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And if something hits your rifle with 1,100 pounds of force, you're probably talking about a helo crash or an IED?
    It doesn't take much to generate a lot of force in a very small area - depends on the circumstances. That 1100 pounds of force is probably a static load applied, kind of like how 550 cord is supposed to be able to hold 550 lbs. But, take a 30 lb weight tied to the cord, drop it from a height, and that 550 cord will snap. So, it may take 1100 lbs to pull apart a rail interface, or break a fastener in a pull test, but very large forces can pretty easily be generated by dropping the rifle a few feet onto a hard surface, or impact with one. It's that impact over a very short amount of time and small area that drives those forces up and why stuff breaks.

A golf ball, for example, weighs 1.62 oz. The forces on that golf ball at the time of impact from the club can be more than 2000 lbs. Another good example is the pressure on a nail head driven into wood - if a hammer hits the nail with 100 lbs of force, and the nail tip has an area of 1/100 sq in, then the force of the nail going into the wood is 10,000 lbs/sq in.

Feedback Score
    Neat design but why not stick with a proven performer/mfgr?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast