Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on sweat guard height for AIWB?

Feedback Score

Thoughts on sweat guard height for AIWB?

I'm considering getting my first holster for a Glock 19 to carry AIWB. I'm kind of stuck on how high I want the sweat guard for a JMCK holster.

I don't really care about the sweat, since we rarely sweat much here in the PNW, but a high guard would shield the serrations and the AmeriGlo sights from my skin. On the other hand, it seems like a lot of extra bulk and if I don't have my pistol in the holster, I don't want all that extra material poking me in the stomach especially if I had to actually use the pistol in a defensive situation.

What do folks here prefer/suggest?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This falls into "personal preferences", and mine is no to a very short sweatshield. Two big reasons. First, I cannot get a good grip/thumb placement with sweat shield, especially with well executed AIWB holsters that tuck the grip in. Second you mentioned yourself. Some of those holsters were clearly designed by people whose idea of shooting is standing still and upright. Try leaning forward, bending, or falling, and you've a dull polymer blade trying to impale your stomach.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have the mid-length guard on two JM holsters. It envelopes the gun and doesn’t irritate me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nailed it. Shoot from anything other than standing and you will greatly appreciate the absense of a sweat guard on an aiwb
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Some of those holsters were clearly designed by people whose idea of shooting is standing still and upright. Try leaning forward, bending, or falling, and you've a dull polymer blade trying to impale your stomach.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer very short or no sweat guards, especially for AIWB, the exception being when I carry a 1911 AIWB. But for Glocks I prefer not to have one at all if possible.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A sweat guard is a big help to tuck your undershirt behind when reholstering.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like these:

https://comp-tac.com/2-oclock-iwb-ri...ster-comp-tac/

I think some shirt shield is a good idea to reduce chances of pinching on reholstering. If it is cut off close to the pistol there isn't much bulk to it considering the material thickness.

I can see how an oversize shield could be like bending over in to a blade, although that is the style Paul Howe recommends along with an over the belt type clip as a quick on and off holster and using the oversize part of the shield to thumb the holster off the pistol when not wearing it.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I've used three or four different AIWB holsters and I order them with the full guard and then slowly trim the guard down until I find the sweet spot for me. Yours might be different than mine, but mine ends up usually being about mid-height. Both for comfort and for getting a good master grip while still in the holster.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    I order them with the full guard and then slowly trim the guard down until I find the sweet spot for me.
    That's I good idea. Never thought it like that. David

Feedback Score
    I go with a medium guard as I find it is the best compromise. It keeps my undershirt out of the way, provides some comfort, but doesn't stab me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast