Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Semi-auto or Lightweight BCG negatives

Feedback Score
    Given they have a choice, why would anyone downgrade to a semi-auto BCG if they could get the more beefy version? There is a whole genre of BCG manufacturers who market tougher BCGs and they evidently sell well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZkK70Miz60

Maybe a FA BCG is overkill but again if you could have one, why not? What is the upside?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Used to be that full auto carriers were only made by quality manufacturers. So it was a easy measure of quality, as well as avoiding some weird ramped ones.

Now you can get great or junk in either. I would just focus on getting a decent quality carrier.

Feedback Score
    Unless you have an adjustable gas block, you should choose your BCG & buffer weight based on how over or undergassed your setup is.

My preference runs towards the heavy side of reliable operation. Slows things down and gives the mag a bit more time to bring up the next round. That’s a bigger issue in other calibers like 7.62x39. I like the ‘slower’ recoil feel as well.

Now for range/race guns, lightweight BCGs are great for fast follow ups. If you can dial down the gas. But I’ve read that lightly gassed setups with light BCGs are also more prone to stoppages as they get dirty.

I like to start with a FA carrier and std. buffer and change out steel weights with tungsten til I get it running the way I like.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    if you buy quality it should not be a problem, but not an area you need to concern yourself with.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Gas drive has more to do with recoil than weight IMO - that said I've only adjusted buffer weights, but should be the same as the total reciprocating is changing (carrier vs buffer wont matter unless I'm missing something).

I had a 16" carbine, and 14.5" mid. The mid recoiled less. Tried carbine and H2 buffers.
    I ended up cutting the 16" down to 11.5 without changing the gas port (it was way oversized) and is now the lightest recoiling AR I've shot.

All that said, 223 recoil is very light. I'd keep the kids on 22 till they are comfortable, then move them up to 223, maybe put a rubber butt pad on it. Its not going to hurt them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12