Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi-auto or Lightweight BCG negatives

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Semi-auto or Lightweight BCG negatives

Are there? I’d planned to pick up some Colt BCG’s for some lightweight builds, as they’re not pricy, and they are a known quantity. But what I’m building will be for kids... What are/Are there negatives to using a quality “semi-auto” or “lightweight?” Are the couple ounces saved offset in some way by problems or increased felt recoil?

Feedback Score
    There is no advantage. The weight savings is negligible at best. The SA carrier will more than likely work fine, but I’d be beyond surprised if anyone notices any weight savings. Prices being what they are, I’d pick up some 6720’s, add rails, or leave as is & leave it at that. You’re going to save a lot more weight based on the barrel & hardware you choose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    There is no advantage. The weight savings is negligible at best. The SA carrier will more than likely work fine, but I’d be beyond surprised if anyone notices any weight savings. Prices being what they are, I’d pick up some 6720’s, add rails, or leave as is & leave it at that. You’re going to save a lot more weight based on the barrel & hardware you choose.
    Agreed 100%. However, I recall a thread I started some time ago and guesstimated that the difference between a semi and full auto carrier was roughly the difference between one buffer weight and the next one up. In other words if you use a full auto carrier and an H buffer, the same gun with a semi carrier *should* be able to use an H2 without any issues.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I think that’s all I need to know.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have weighed LMT FA and SA BCGs. The difference is about .3 oz.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are building a rifle for recoil sensitive folks like smaller people a LW BCG + adjustable gas block can do more than just reduce static weight
    If you are willing to do some tuning, you can get a really soft shooting rifle

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    If you are building a rifle for recoil sensitive folks like smaller people a LW BCG + adjustable gas block can do more than just reduce static weight
    If you are willing to do some tuning, you can get a really soft shooting rifle
    Not advisable unless you are trying to make a gamer rifle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I’ve successfully done this with a 12” triarc mid length barrel
    Slr titanium adjustable gas block
    Cycled wolf gold and super weak steel case ammunition
    As well as full house 556 IMI and sellior and bellot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Why isn't it advisable for a range rifle for kids? Is the issue reliability or maintenance?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The problem with SOME semi carriers isn't the weight. It's the carriers that are ramped beneath the firing pin. These are designed to work with the type II hammer. They can cause retainer pin damage, etc. Just a needless pain in the butt.

Now if I were wanting a light, low recoil youngster gun, I'd be going BCM middy all day long. There's no AR I've shot that comes close to the smooth shooting characteristics that the BCM middy does. And one of mine is the KMR. So it's also the lightest gun I run. I can blast like it's a rimfire.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast