Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does the Dot-Mil Issue the M4?

Feedback Score

How Does the Dot-Mil Issue the M4?

A buddy of mine and I were having a discussion the other day about how Colt no longer sells the civilian M4 with the carry handle, and usually attaches a MagPul MBUS (although I've seen photos with the Matech sight).

It dawned on both of us that we're curious as to how the dot-mil gets them.

Carry handle? MBUS? Matech sight? When a new military M4 is uncrated at the base, what comes with it?

This also led to a discussion about other things: What are the standard optics, lights, rails, etc. on an issue M4? I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete breakdown with specifics. If one were to want to duplicate a military M4 as close as possible minus the naughty bits of course, what accessories would one need?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That'll vary quite a bit. I usually see them with Matech rear sights. And rails.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    For a clone get a Matech rear sight that doesn't work, a scratched up rail, and a CCO, with missing elevation/ windage covers, that is also scratched and dented. Oh, and Peq15.

Pretty much any picture you see, or video of the Army has the standard M4.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    We got fielded the A1s within the last year. They come with the Matech rear sight, KAC RAS, seven EPMs, and the same black sling that they've come with for decades. Optics and other stuff are separate and unit dependent but its a mix of CCOs and ACOGs for most of the big Army.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Does the military even use the carry handle sight any more? Now I happen to like it since I started with the M1/M14/M16A1 and still at age 69 like iron sights. And you can mount optics to the carry handle. Nevertheless I suspect that the world is moving on and optics are now the favored sighting device.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    Does the military even use the carry handle sight any more? Now I happen to like it since I started with the M1/M14/M16A1 and still at age 69 like iron sights. And you can mount optics to the carry handle. Nevertheless I suspect that the world is moving on and optics are now the favored sighting device.
    About 5 years ago a Ft Sill I saw some soldiers carrying M16 of some type with that odd carry handle & red dot setup in front of it. They were arty guys of some flavor, but I haven’t seen any since.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    About 5 years ago a Ft Sill I saw some soldiers carrying M16 of some type with that odd carry handle & red dot setup in front of it. They were arty guys of some flavor, but I haven’t seen any since.
    Those were likely trainees in BCT/OSUT. Still a bunch of A2s in use there as well as some support units.

Feedback Score
    Another question: Is bayonet fighting even a thing anymore on the hi tech battlefield?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The carbines and rifles are received by units with carry handles attached.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Another question: Is bayonet fighting even a thing anymore on the hi tech battlefield?
    My old squad leader said they used them for agitated crowd control right after the invasion of Iraq in 03. In my 4 trips overseas mine stayed in the bottom of my seabag.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast