Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS M2 recall

Feedback Score
    I received my PPS M2 back yesterday. The trigger seems to feel the same. They sprayed the slide down with something that stripped every bit of oil away and didn't bother to lubricate it when they were done. It now has the pressed dot inside the grip frame. I'll take it shooting tomorrow to see if the trigger feels different at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    That sounds like a felony.

You have to inform the shipper that there is a firearm in the box. That didn't automatically happen just because Walther purchased a shipping label. Plus, you left a handgun in a not-so-secure box outside.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...ntract-carrier
    The practical problem with this is that the people at UPS and FedEx have no clue what to do nor do they document that someone has made them aware that a firearm is being shipped. Neither my company's UPS or FedEx representative nor either driver did anything when I told them that I'm shipping a firearm. I send an email to my representative simply because notifying the driver, the person who is most likely to steal or divert the contents of a package, is just plain stupid. The fact that the government would put such a requirement in place shows just how detached from reality they are. Most people can't notify a UPS or FedEx sales representative like I can. For them, I'd suggest simply sending a message to the carrier's customer service email. You'll have a record that you provided notification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It’s legal for me to ship a pistol by common or contract carrier to a manufacturer, and a manufacturer can ship it back directly to me by the same route. Obviously I told her it was a firearm, which is how she knew and then refused. There’s nothing illegal about popping the box into a dropbox, and of course in that case, there’s no one to inform. So.....no problem.
    Your shipment was refused because Office Max isn't FedEx, but a third party drop off location. And because it was refused, going to a different drop off box and leaving your gun there is shipping it without informing the carrier.

I get that you're put out about this, but no amount of personal inconvenience is going to keep you from being prosecuted for failing to follow the law. I'm just trying to explain to you the violation so you don't get caught and convicted in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The practical problem with this is that the people at UPS and FedEx have no clue what to do nor do they document that someone has made them aware that a firearm is being shipped. Neither my company's UPS or FedEx representative nor either driver did anything when I told them that I'm shipping a firearm. I send an email to my representative simply because notifying the driver, the person who is most likely to steal or divert the contents of a package, is just plain stupid. The fact that the government would put such a requirement in place shows just how detached from reality they are. Most people can't notify a UPS or FedEx sales representative like I can. For them, I'd suggest simply sending a message to the carrier's customer service email. You'll have a record that you provided notification.
    Personally, I've always just gone to a nearby UPS distribution center, where they seem to always know exactly what to do. And if I had questions, FedEx and UPS have phone numbers with agents who know the company policies.

The issue that caused both carriers to go to overnight for handguns wasn't drivers stealing guns but workers in large sorting facilities. I'm sure that drivers who deliver to gun stores have a pretty good idea what they are carrying, but don't steal guns because they are the only ones who could be blamed if a gun goes missing between pick up scan and their home base.

Shipping guns is a pain. Everybody can do as they wish, I'm just pointing out the facts.

Feedback Score
    Personally, I've always just gone to a nearby UPS distribution center, where they seem to always know exactly what to do. And if I had questions, FedEx and UPS have phone numbers with agents who know the company policies.
    That works too if you're so inclined to make the trip. Notifying the company via email meets the legal requirement so far as I know.

The issue that caused both carriers to go to overnight for handguns wasn't drivers stealing guns but workers in large sorting facilities. I'm sure that drivers who deliver to gun stores have a pretty good idea what they are carrying, but don't steal guns because they are the only ones who could be blamed if a gun goes missing between pick up scan and their home base.
    A big one that I remember here in Atlanta right before they went to overnight was a driver stealing multiple Glocks. I'd like someone to explain to me how notifying a driver is going to reduce the odds of a gun getting stolen. Even if the driver doesn't steal the gun, it gives them the opportunity to tip off someone else. UPS and FedEx just used the dishonesty of their employees as an opportunity to stick it to gun shippers. There's simply not enough competition in the small package shipment business right now to prevent this type of gouging. BTW, most manufacturers are allowed to ship 2nd day by UPS and FedEx. They change the rules when they want the business.

Shipping guns is a pain. Everybody can do as they wish, I'm just pointing out the facts.[/QUOTE]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    That works too if you're so inclined to make the trip. Notifying the company via email meets the legal requirement so far as I know.

A big one that I remember here in Atlanta right before they went to overnight was a driver stealing multiple Glocks. I'd like someone to explain to me how notifying a driver is going to reduce the odds of a gun getting stolen. Even if the driver doesn't steal the gun, it gives them the opportunity to tip off someone else. UPS and FedEx just used the dishonesty of their employees as an opportunity to stick it to gun shippers. There's simply not enough competition in the small package shipment business right now to prevent this type of gouging. BTW, most manufacturers are allowed to ship 2nd day by UPS and FedEx. They change the rules when they want the business.
    I don't see how notifying a driver is any different than notifying the guy at the counter or whoever you're emailing - any of them could tip off someone else. As I pointed out, the driver scans the package in front of you, so there is a chain of custody that makes the gun going missing on their watch difficult for them to explain away.

Insurance takes care of the rest.

In the past, I have shipped handguns broken down in two boxes so the "firearms receiver" went inexpensive UPS Ground like a rifle. UPS never asked if it was a pistol receiver or a rifle receiver and didn't seem to care - so I was meeting the legal requirement of informing them that I was shipping a firearm while side stepping their in-house handgun policy. Some folks thought that was violating the law, but that would be a difficult argument to make since UPS requirements for handguns vs rifles vs receivers are just company policy. But I haven't shipped anything for many years now.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Your shipment was refused because Office Max isn't FedEx, but a third party drop off location. And because it was refused, going to a different drop off box and leaving your gun there is shipping it without informing the carrier.

I get that you're put out about this, but no amount of personal inconvenience is going to keep you from being prosecuted for failing to follow the law. I'm just trying to explain to you the violation so you don't get caught and convicted in the future.
    ?? I’m not put out about it in the slightest. The Office Max lady said “we can’t accept guns” gave me a shipping box. I dropped the gun in, sealed it, slapped the sticker on it, walked outside and dropped it in the drop box on my way back to my car. No problem, counselor.

Feedback Score
    ?? I’m not put out about it in the slightest. The Office Max lady said “we can’t accept guns” gave me a shipping box. I dropped the gun in, sealed it, slapped the sticker on it, walked outside and dropped it in the drop box on my way back to my car. No problem, counselor.
    You didn't inform FedEx what you were shipping. Period. The Office Max lady has nothing to do with your actions.

Feedback Score
    I don't see how notifying a driver is any different than notifying the guy at the counter or whoever you're emailing - any of them could tip off someone else.
    The driver has more direct access, but you're right. Anyone notified would be made aware that there's a gun available to steal. That's my point. The notification increases the odds of a theft. It doesn't reduce it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You didn't inform FedEx what you were shipping. Period. The Office Max lady has nothing to do with your actions.
    I yelled into the drop box as I dropped the package in. Must have been OK...it worked out fine.

Feedback Score
    I yelled into the drop box as I dropped the package in. Must have been OK...it worked out fine.
    There is no helping some people. You are going to lose your guns if you keep violating the law and bragging about it.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast