Thread: Primary Arms Red Dots in cold/wet weather

Feedback Score

Primary Arms Red Dots in cold/wet weather

Is there anyone running Primary Arms red dots (specifically the Adv. Micro Dot) in adverse outdoor conditions? NOT just an hour or two at a covered range. I actually use my rifles for extended periods outdoors in cold and wet mountain/forest conditions in the PNW, which may dip below freezing to zero at night. Rain, snow, fogging, creek crossings, ice, the occasional unfortunate drop, etc is typical and expected.

I'm wondering how well the Primary Arms optics hold up in these environments, compared to more expensive brands. I have Aimpoints on other rifles but I'm curious if I can get away with saving 1/3 of the optic cost on my latest AK build. The Primary Arms optics seem to get excellent reviews but I'm wondering how many of these people actually expose their rifles to more "real-world" northern conditions.

Manufacturer listed operation temperature ratings:
    • Aimpoint T2: -45°C to +71°C (-49°F to +160°F)
    • Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot: 4 °F and 122 °F (-10°C to 50°C)
    Last edited by Severian; 11-18-18 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    I'm just a pudgy farmer but I have a rifle with me most of the day. As in riding in my truck and tractors during day to day activities. I own an acss red dot. I'm on my second one as the first stopped working. Primary arms was quick to send a new one out. Im trying It once more to see if it will last. I've never had a problem with the aimpiont micros I've owned.

Feedback Score
    Here is Rob Ski torture testing a PA red dot---looks cold judging by their clothes and the torture test is believable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox0h...ature=youtu.be

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by farmhard View Post
    I'm just a pudgy farmer but I have a rifle with me most of the day. As in riding in my truck and tractors during day to day activities. I own an acss red dot. I'm on my second one as the first stopped working. Primary arms was quick to send a new one out. Im trying It once more to see if it will last. I've never had a problem with the aimpiont micros I've owned.
    Thanks for that. It's good to know they'll replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Here is Rob Ski torture testing a PA red dot---looks cold judging by their clothes and the torture test is believable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox0h...ature=youtu.be
    Thanks, I somehow missed this one. That's quite the intro, haha. Pretty impressive that it still worked after dragging it behind a vehicle like that.

I went ahead and ordered the Primary Arms-Holosun ACSS model after watching that and a few more videos. For only $219 if it acts up I guess I can always just switch to irons and then buy another Aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    It's not a Primary Arms...but some people say they are the same. I have a Sig Romeo 4 on my rifle. I live in AK. The start of winters are wet and cold. The rifle lives locked in a car that is parked outside. The optic is left on...allowing the "shake awake" feature to do its thing when the car isn't moving. The rifle often moves from the warmth of the car, to below freezing exterior with either rain/sleet or snow...and then back again in anywhere from 15 min to 8 hours...some times multiple times per day. So far, so good.

Feedback Score
    The newer model with rotary dial has upgraded internals and would probably hold up. It is the model that ends in AD not ADS.

If this is something you need to depend your life on i would spend more money, but if just something for hunting or rec use it should be fine. I have seen reviews where they have been left in the elements and frozen in the freezer in ice and they came out working fine. I would recommend a good set of backup sites just in case

Feedback Score
    Took the HS503G out into the hills for the first time Sunday and zeroed it on my SLR107R. It was 28 degrees and dumping heavy snow. So far so good!

Feedback Score
    When I was in upstate NY I’d go out when it was 3. 0. 5. Et cetera. Not all the time but some. No problems.